Sports: Seattle Pacific scores with less than two minutes remaining to eliminate Wildcats from GNAC tournament, 2-1

BY CAMERON DANIELS, Staff Reporter

Despite a solid performance from junior goalkeeper Kayla Lipston and a goal from freshman midfielder Meghan Ward, the Central Washington women’s soccer team’s season is over.

After taking a 1-0 lead into halftime, the Wildcats (11-6-1 overall 10-3-1 in Great Northwest Athletic Conference) suffered a heartbreaking defeat to Seattle Pacific University, 2-1, in their first postseason appearance since 1997.

It was the first of two semi-final GNAC tournament games.  Seattle Pacific (14-5-0 overall, 10-4-0 GNAC) advances to play Western Washington University after the Vikings beat Western Oregon University, 2-1.

Central was trying to complete a three game sweep of the Seattle Pacific Falcons on the season.

In the 10th minute, Ward flipped a shot into the back of the net from the top of the goal box and converted her first career goal.

The rest of the half was a grudge match between the two teams.  Neither team could get much else going as both teams combined for just five shots in the first half.

The Falcons  stepped up their offense to start the second half, while tallying the first 11 shots in the period before Central took its first shot attempt.

Seattle Pacific sophomore Ashley Shaw pushed a penalty kick across in the 73rd minute to tie the game at one apiece.

Following the penalty kick, the Wildcats rallied for two quality goal attempts.  The first, from junior midfielder Savanna Moorehouse, was blocked.  Sophomore midfielder Reilly Retz followed up with a shot over the crossbar.

The winning goal was put in with 1:51 left in the game.  On a corner kick for Seattle Pacific, the ball ricocheted off of a Wildcat defender and into their own goal.

The Wildcats were unable to even get a shot in the remaining time.

Central was out shot 14-4 by the Falcons and were called for nine more fouls than the Falcons.

Two Central players played in their last collegiate game, senior defender Tarah Duty and senior midfielder Morgan Wood.