Tennis club will continue to practice, competition to resume in the future

Scott Hastings

CWU’s tennis club takes photo after a practice back during 2019 season. Tennis club members patiently await for competition to resume in 2021.

Derek Harper, Staff Reporter

Despite no competition against clubs from other schools, the tennis club is practicing three times a week so they’re ready to go when competition resumes. 

The club practices Mondays and Wednesdays from 5-7 p.m. and Fridays 3-5 p.m.

The club is co-ed and has players of all skill levels with the fee to join right now being $5 rather than $35 due to a lack of tournaments. 

While the team practices three days a week, that is only during the fall and spring while in winter they’re forced to go indoors at a facility off-campus.

One negative impact they’re currently seeing is a decrease in the amount of freshmen members. 

According to Danny DeBock, the practice coordinator and junior, the club has about 40 to 45 members. 

However, he said despite the decrease in freshmen, there are still a good amount of students on campus. 

According to DeBock, it’s a great environment to foster great players in. 

“All of us are just trying to improve our games to a level that we can play very well and possibly compete in tournaments when things are opened back up again so that’s the hope,” DeBock said.

Multiple players said one of the best things about the club is the ability to meet new people and make new friends. 

Sophomore Codi Fortier said the camaraderie is her favorite thing about being part of the team. 

She said everybody is close and it’s a club for anyone.

“It’s a club for all skill levels so even if you’ve never played tennis before, you can still come and see if you like it. We’re a very close-knit group and we always have fun, and that’s kind of the allure,” Fortier said.

Jordyn Fassett, a junior, said even after graduation, she wants it to be an environment where anybody can play year-round and make connections. 

Fassett said she’s made good friendships and memories as part of the club, and it doesn’t matter where you come from or what skill level you’re at. 

She said it’s a place where everyone feels welcome. 

For Fassett, she thinks players make lifetime friendships with the club, and the friendships made in college last forever.

While the team always makes sure to wear a mask, it does present a challenge.  

According to Fassett, while wearing a mask is difficult, it’s also a tool to force players to improve a little bit. 

She said it cuts off her field of vision a bit, so she has to be a bit more observant and move quickly around the courts. 

She thinks with the challenge the mask presents, the team will be better once this season is over.

Conner Fochesato, a junior, said his long term goal isn’t to go pro, but to keep it as a hobby and play against others who play tennis. 

He said his friends are his favorite part of the club, and players will text amongst themselves and see if anyone wants to go hit the ball around.

“Honestly, the club brings in a bunch of new people that may have never even played before and they’re totally new to the game, but we accept them and it’s a great friendly atmosphere so that’s why people should join the club,” Fochesato said.