Quarterback Jack Smith transfers to CWU from ASU

Derek Harper, Staff Reporter

The football team will have another player competing for the starting quarterback job in fall 2021. Fifth year quarterback Jack Smith transferred this year to CWU from Arizona State University where he played briefly before an injury sidelined him. Due to the injury, he found out he had three years of extra eligibility left.

Smith said he and Offensive Coordinator and QB’s coach Zach Tinker both saw the game similarly.

“The primary thing for me was my relationship right off the bat with the Offensive Coordinator coach Tinker,” Smith said. “Just from the get-go we kind of were on the same page about things and how we view the game of football.” 

Zak Hill, a former star at CWU and former ASU offensive coordinator, was a big influence for Smith heading to Ellensburg. Smith said Hill recommended CWU to him when he entered the transfer portal.

“Zak Hill [went] here and helped build this place to what it is today and once he puts his recommendation on it, it’s hard for me being such a fan of him and looking up to him as a mentor to not follow his lead,” Smith said. 

Hill explained to Smith that if he visited Ellensburg and checked out the town that he was going to love it. Once Smith visited campus, he fell in love with it and hasn’t looked back since.

At 23 years old, Smith said he doesn’t feel old but compared to the other players on the team, he’s one of the older guys. 

When Smith was out of the game he said he missed being in the locker room and being around his teammates. 

At Arizona State, Smith said he was in a quarterback room with Manny Wilkins who went on to play in the NFL and Bryce Perkins who is in the NFL. He was also around Blake Barnett and Brady White who are going to get a shot at the NFL.

He said that seeing how those guys operated is something he wanted to translate to CWU. Smith wants to take a professional approach to learning the offensive installs and how he’ll interact with teammates. He also explained about understanding the expectations within the program and following the coaches lead.

Smith said he hopes to be helping CWU win football games on Saturdays in fall 2021. He said if he’s not then he’ll be the best teammate he can be for the younger players around him.