Athletics to host virtual homecoming event

Sean Bessette, Staff Reporter

On Oct. 17, athletics will host a virtual homecoming event to honor the traditional homecoming events that have been canceled.

“This is a great opportunity for our fans to support our student athletes and give back to our programs,” Associate Athletic Director for External Affairs Tyler Unsicker said.

According to wildcatsports.com, fans can purchase tickets to the event online. There are three different ticket prices, each of which have their own potential rewards. There are tickets for $10, $25 and $100. Every ticket purchased for the event comes with a commemorative game ticket and access to a virtual fall sports update and Q&A with fall sport head coaches on Oct. 17. The $25 ticket comes with the chance to win a full size replica helmet. 

The website states the $100 ticket comes with the chance to win four sideline passes at a 2021 football game and a drawing for “CWU swag” from fall sport teams, four tickets to the 2021 football game at Eastern Washington University on Sept. 11, 2021 and an opportunity for a virtual tailgate with the fall sport head coaches on Oct. 17.

“We created this event to have some fun and have some kind of event to engage with our fans and our coaches but do it in a safe way,” Unsicker said. “More than anything, we just want people to engage with our coaches. This is a new way to continue with the tradition of homecoming.”  

The same message was echoed by head volleyball coach Mario Andaya.

“We’re just trying to create an interactive experience for everyone,” Andaya said.

Fans will have the opportunity to interact with the coaches during the virtual fall sports update and Q&A. According to Unsicker, coaches are excited for the event.

“I’m really excited that Dr. [Dennis] Francois and Tyler Unsicker have decided to do something and go ahead and celebrate what is really special [to our] athletic program,” head football coach Chris Fisk said.

While coaches might be excited for the event, it’s not easy to create the same environment that would exist for a traditional homecoming week, but there are new opportunities this virtual format presents.

“I think it’s going to be difficult to get that close-knit type of deal,” Andaya said. “If a group of alumni are able to get on this together and see each other and use this as a median, that’ll be really cool.”

Tickets are on sale now and can be found at: https://wildcatsports.com/sports/2020/9/23/2020-virtual-homecoming-event.aspx