Fall and Winter activities near Kittitas County

Derek Harper

Derek Harper, Reporter

There are multiple ways CWU students and those in Kittitas County can enjoy the fall and winter months both outdoors and indoors.

For students, Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals (OPR) at CWU provides trips to the ski resorts around the region. In a normal year, OPR tries to do trips three out of four weeks each month to the various resorts in the area. Students can enjoy trips with friends and even make new friends with people they meet on the trips.

Bradley Gasawski, OPR coordinator, talked about how resorts will still want to open and how they’ll try their best to still have trips, but admitted that COVID-19 county restrictions may limit where they can go. This would limit trips to fewer resorts with Suncadia and The Summit at Snoqualmie, the main two due to proximity.

OPR has done trips to The Summit at Snoqualmie, Suncadia Resort, White Pass, Mission Ridge, and the Sno-Parks on Blewett Pass. “Students get a little bit of flexibility with planning the location,” Gasawski said. When it gets cold enough they’ll sometimes make trips to do ice climbing at Umtanum Creek Falls.

One trip that is a hit with many students is the full moon ski trip to The Summit at Snoqualmie. “Students really enjoy spending time with each other outdoors,” Gasawski said. While most ski trips are usually around seven people, last year’s full moon ski trip had enough students signed up to where they took three cars.

For other students and those in the community, Wenatchee Wild hockey games are a hit with good pricing and action. “It’s not that horrible of a drive to get here to watch a game,” Gretchen Littler, Director of Sales and Marketing for Wenatchee, said.

Wild games are a hit with groups, as it’s something multiple people can do together. It’s not too far of a drive for those in Kittitas County and it’s an event that people can get out and enjoy in the fall and winter months.