The club fair looked different this year

Abigail Duchow

Christian Castilleja, treasurer (left) and Heidi Flores-Montiel, president (right) of the Environmental Club tabling at the club fair.

Abigail Duchow, Scene Editor

After checking in for contact tracing using their student IDs, masked students browsed the various clubs that were being tabled for on Chestnut Mall outside the SURC on Sept. 25. Students mingled with club directors, received plenty of goodies and fought against the infamous Ellensburg wind.

ASCWU President Mickael Candelaria said he was happy a club fair was finally able to happen and thought the turnout was good for a Friday afternoon.

“This is actually one of the only club fairs that we were allowed to have. The first two initially got canceled because of all the smoke and everything going on, so I’m super happy with the club fair,” Candelaria said.

Candelaria said the COVID-19 restrictions in place at the club fair were very smart and that checking students in for contact tracing is helpful.

“It is a little difficult to be six feet away from each other all the time,” Candelaria said. “The facial covering requirement I think everybody has adhered to very well and I think it will definitely keep our community safe.”

Danielle Hegarty showing off her cosplay of Penny Polendina from the show “RWBY.” (Abigail Duchow )

Danielle Hegarty, a sophomore majoring in history education, is the secretary for the Cosplay Club. She said the club is functioning a little different this year due to COVID-19, but they are still doing virtual workshops to teach and show people the “ins and outs” of cosplay.

“It’s a very open club, any major, any year, even if you don’t know what cosplay is, come to one or two meetings and find out about it … you could be doing it for 10 years or 20 minutes, it’s a really really open club,” Hegarty said.

Hegarty said she enjoyed the club fair a lot with the only downsides being the wind and the Cosplay Club’s table being near the end of the row of tables along Chestnut Mall.

“I’m seeing that a lot of people are leaving before they get to the end, but honestly I like that we’re still doing a club fair even with [COVID-19], because clubs are still having meetings and it’s good for people to get involved on campus,” Hegarty said.

Heidi Flores-Montiel is a junior majoring in environmental science and is the president of the Environmental Club. She said the purpose of the club is to advocate for a more sustainable campus by doing stream cleanups, working at the Wildcat Neighborhood Farm and talking about current issues.

The Environmental Club’s poster was continually being beaten down by the wind, but Flores-Montiel said she didn’t mind how the club fair was set up.

“It’s working, people come in and out, it’s socially distant. The poster isn’t holding up so well, but you know, we’re just holding onto it and meeting new people,” Flores-Montiel said.

Catholic Campus Ministry’s President and Peer Minister Allie Cerny is a second-year psychology major. Cerny said Catholic Campus Ministry does events throughout the week with the biggest one being mass on Sundays at the local parish.

Cerny said she had never experienced a club fair at CWU before the COVID-19 pandemic, but she felt CWU was doing the best it could to keep students safe.

“I mean there’s not much more that they could probably do, but I like that it’s outside, it’s kind of a little more open and not so stuffed in one room … and that’s always nice,” Cerny said.

April Yabes (left) and Liza Betancur (right) tabling for FASA.

Liza Betancur, a sophomore double majoring in Japanese and Asian studies, is a board member for the Filipino American Student Association (FASA). Betancur said FASA spreads awareness about Filipino traditions and culture. She said anyone who wants to can join.

“You don’t have to be Filipino to join in. I’m Mexican but I’m on the board and everything … we accept everybody for who they are as long as they respect the Filipino culture,” Betancur said.

Betancur said the club fair felt somewhat normal, but it also felt abnormal due to the time limit for the event, social distancing and other COVID-19 guidelines.

“I’m just glad we’re able to be able to do it in person still rather than always on Zoom and stuff like that, so I’m grateful we’re able to do it now,” Betancur said.