Office of International Studies and Programs struggles to get students to participate in optional activities

Joseph Stanger, Staff Reporter

Not a single student showed up to eight out of the 12 events the Office of International Studies and Programs (OISP) put on this quarter. According to the OISP’s program coordinator, Krissy Goecks, the results aren’t surprising.

“It is a little disappointing, but it’s understandable,” Geocks said. “Personally, we each think the same thing: if this wasn’t my job, I wouldn’t be here right now either.”

Geocks believes online fatigue may be the main reason students haven’t been showing up to the events.

“It’s not just international students, it’s everyone, not even just students,” Geocks said. “[They’re] fatigued from having to be online and glued to a computer for eight-plus hours a day for education or work.”

The OISP has been trying to boost awareness for these events by sending direct emails to students and posting to their various social media accounts, but so far, Geocks said there hasn’t been much of a difference.

Yunus Timurtas, a political science major, junior, international student and assistant to Geocks, moved back to his home country of Turkey for spring quarter due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“I’m planning the programs right now,” Timurtas said. “But I cannot attend because of the time difference.”

Timurtas said time differences have likely been an issue for other international students as well, but the main reason is likely due to students not wanting to spend more time on their computers than they already have to.

“I’m not going to lie to you, I’m sitting on the laptop all day,” Timurtas said. “Why should I join an extra event?”

Haylie Rasmussen, a junior biology and chemistry double major, has been helping OISP with some of the different events they’ve been putting on. During the first event she organized herself, no students showed up.

“Due to it not really taking off and a lot of students not having an interest in it, I will soon be needing to come up with a new program,” Rasmussen said.

The event was called “Our Stories: Story Sharing Sessions,” and it was intended to connect people and hear the stories and perspectives of others.

Some events, like game night, are more fun and relaxed, while others are a little more serious and focused.

Rasmussen also believes that the problem of getting students to participate in these optional events isn’t exclusive to the OISP.

“It’s just not fun to stare at a screen forever,”  Rasmussen said. “I think once people are done with their work or their classes, they’re just too mentally exhausted and tired.”

Geocks said they’ve been having success with getting people to look at their social media posts this quarter, but getting engagement on those posts has been difficult.

To get more engagement, at least from international students, OISP is planning on using WhatsApp.

The messaging service will allow OISP to directly text international students information regarding any events or informational sessions being put on. Although most of their events haven’t gathered a lot of attention, there are a few that have.

A recent event that saw success, called “Cultural Conversations,” was held by OISP in collaboration with the Brooks Library and the Ellensburg library.

“We had quite a few Ellensburg citizens, CWU staff or faculty and a handful of students,” Geocks said.

According to the events description online, Cultural Conversations is an opportunity for anyone to hear a different view, practice empathetic listening and speaking, learn a new culture through storytelling, and explore deep and relevant topics with others.

Krissy said the informational events they hold also tend to get more engagement.

“We’ve talked about the changes that are happening into going online, or about [COVID-19] and the pandemic,” Geocks said. “[There are also] sessions about internships and working after you’ve graduated.”

Rasmussen said the hope for the OISP events is to bring people together and to connect with one another.

“All of our events are completely open to everyone on campus, not just the international students,” Rasmussen said. “We strive to connect our international students with our domestic students and bring that community across borders and across water.”