Music students deal with loss of practice rooms

Karina Severino, Staff Reporter

Due to classes being moved online, music students have to find ways to practice from home and use video conference tools like Zoom or Blackboard Ultra to communicate with their professors and fellow students.

Alan Ramos, a freshman music education major, said having Zoom meetings helps online learning feel more structured and normal. However, since sound is really important in music learning, loss of connection or other audio technical difficulties sometimes makes it hard to hear the notes professors are playing.

Like many others, Ramos is feeling the impact of not having an available practice room like the ones on campus.

“I have a garage that we just finished building,” Ramos said. “I turned that into my study room and it’s where I practice my playing.”

Ramos said this change has been different, but he’s been able to manage his time. He’s taking four music classes this quarter on top of his other required courses.

“Three of my classes have Zoom meetings at eight in the morning,” Ramos said. “I like that it gives me time to do my homework after work.”

The violin is his primary instrument, but Ramos also plays the bass, guitar and piano. 

“I’ve been doing music since middle school. I just wanted to learn more about it,” Ramos said about choosing his major. “I wanted to do education with it and teach others.”

Hailey Wanger, a junior music education and trumpet performance double major, said working from home has its ups and downs. 

“Not having a practice room has been very different. I’m a trumpet player… and I have to work around my roommates’ schedules to find time to practice,” Wanger said. ”On the other hand, it’s nice to have my room as a space where I can be really productive because I have my instrument and my whole setup.” 

Music courses typically require students to have in-person meetings where they are given time to have one-on-one sessions with their professors. They are also required to set time aside to practice their instruments.

Wanger said although the loss of a practice room has been difficult due to the change of sound, she feels it helps her be even more productive because she doesn’t have an excuse as to why she can’t practice. 

“I’ve always been surrounded by music,” Wanger said. “I did band in middle school and all through high school. High school is when I really started taking it seriously. I just really fell in love with playing the trumpet and being surrounded by people who also enjoy making music.” 

There are a lot of reasons Wanger chose the music education major, but she said she wants to share the feeling she gets when she’s surrounded by music with her students.

Andrea Hernadez, a freshman music education major, went back home for spring break and has been there since. She said unfortunately, her textbook and other learning materials are stuck in her dorm. 

She had to get her sheet music mailed to her by her professor. Since she wasn’t able to retrieve her books, she has been having people send her pictures of the reading.

“Finding a place to practice is difficult…I have to find ways to organize my schedule around what’s going on [at home]… when people are home, when my sister has school herself or when I’m alone and have the time to practice,” Hernadez said. “I know a lot of other music students are having the same problem because they have bigger families.”

Not having a designated practice space has gotten in the way of her practicing her violin, which is Hernandez’s primary instrument. She has been playing it for nine years since she first picked it out in the fifth grade.

“When my teacher first played [the violin]… it called me.” Hernadez said. “After playing it for a while, I knew that I wanted to play it for a long time, keep practicing and getting better at it.”