Kittitas County confirms fourth positive case in elementary school

Graphic by Teagan Kimbro/The Observer

Bailey Tomlinson, Staff Reporter

The fourth case of COVID-19 in Kittitas County is an employee of Lincoln Elementary School. This is according to a Kittitas County Public Health Department (KCPHD) press release sent out this morning. 

The patient was asymptomatic during her time at work and KCPHD is currently working with the school district. On March 11, she was instructed by a Public Health Officer to self-isolate at home. The Public Health Officer did not recommend closing the school at this time.

That evening, Lincoln Elementary School was deep cleaned by custodians, an email sent by Superintendent of Ellensburg School District Jinger Haberer states.

The employee was tested on March 13. On March 17, at 5:13 p.m., Public Health was notified of a positive test result.

According to KCPHD, all COVID-19 patients in the county are in stable condition.

“If you are a student or staff at Lincoln Elementary school, you were exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19,” the press release reads. “Our request is that you immediately quarantine yourself at home for fourteen days from exposure.” 

The fourth case is linked to the third case. There is no link between these cases and the first and second cases.

“Remaining calm and following the recommendations of the Public Health Department is the best thing we can do for ourselves, and one another, at this time.” Haberer said in the press release. 

Questions regarding this exposure? Call the Emergency Operation Center at (509) 933-8315.