CWU student test results negative after week of isolation

Mariah Valles, Managing Editor

Test results for the CWU student who was tested for the novel coronavirus came back negative on Friday. Immediately after the results came in, the student was released from isolation, according to Kittitas County Public Health Department (KCPHD) officials. 

On Feb. 6, KCPHD announced a CWU student who returned from China would be tested for the novel coronavirus. According to officials, the student never traveled to Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus. 

In Washington, as of Feb. 11, there has been one positive test and 23 negative tests, with one test still pending. 

Globally, as of Feb. 11, there have been 43,103 confirmed tests. There are 42,708 confirmed cases in China, leaving 395 affecting 24 countries, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). 

The WHO assesses the risk as “very high” in China and on a global level, the risk is “high.” 

Currently, the animal source of the new virus is in the process of being identified, according to the WHO. 

“Identifying the animal source of the 2019-nCoV would help to ensure that there will be no further similar outbreaks with the same virus and will also help understanding the initial spread of the disease in the Wuhan area,” the Feb. 11 WHO situation report states. 

There have been 1,018 deaths from the novel coronavirus as of Feb. 11, only one being outside of China.