Time is near for winter gear

Samantha Cabeza, Staff Reporter

Ski season is almost here which means students can experience the Pacific Northwest by skiing with a group of other students, friends and nonstudents. 

OPR offers weekly shuttles to The Summit at Snoqualmie starting winter quarter 2020. The shuttle cost is $10 for students and $12 for nonstudents. The official start date is Jan. 14 2020, a week after winter quarter begins. 

At 3:45 p.m. on  Tuesdays, students can climb into a shuttle bus and ride to the summit for a night on the slopes. Night skiing offered by the summit starts at 4 p.m. and goes until 10 p.m. Students are responsible for their own tickets which can be purchased on the website of the ski resort, Summit at Snoqualmie, or at the resort. 

The OPR crew will take students to Central or Alpental, depending on the weather or day. Summit Central is located in the middle of the resort and holds ski lifts and runs that are for all skill levels. Alpental is considered a more difficult area for skiers, containing steep hills and longer runs. Depending on how the students are feeling, the OPR shuttle will leave the resort around 9 p.m., an hour before the park closes. 

Taking advantage of the OPR ski shuttle gives students the opportunity to connect with fellow students and reduce the risk of having to drive in icy conditions. 

Driving over the pass may be considered dangerous in harsh winter conditions, especially if a student is alone. 

OPR’s website offers a list of ski and snow activity rentals for students who are looking to rent gear. Lines at the summit can become long so renting your gear at OPR not only saves students time, but money. Gear prices start at $10.27 for boots and $10.27 for skis. Students can rent for a day or for up to seven days if need be. Waxing at the OPR office is also offered for students who own gear. OPR is located to the left of the East Patio off of 11th street by the SURC. 

OPR Staff Manager Tonya Morrey said that students who are not experienced in skiing are still invited to join them on the adventures up to the mountain. The OPR staff is filled with experienced skiers, such as Morrey herself. Morrey said the staff is open to students with no ski or snow sport experience joining them on the trips, and they are willing to take the time out to help students learn basic skiing skills. 

“Our staff is trained with basic teaching ski skills for students,’’ Morrey said. 

The Summit at Snoqualmie offers a wide array of runs and lifts for students at all experience levels, from experts to beginners. The resort also offers a wide array of restaurants, sitting areas and different locations for skiing. 

For any questions regarding rentals and shuttle rides, contact Tonya Morrey and the rest of the OPR staff at [email protected]