College of Arts and Humanities honors students and faculty

Austin Lane, Staff Reporter

The College of Arts and Humanities (CAH) year end celebration was tonight in the SURC Ballroom. The celebration recognized students and faculty within the college.

The Thomas Gause Award for Achievement in Music: Composition was awarded to Nicholas Novy. The Betty E. Evans Award for Achievement in Creative Writing went to CeAnna Heit. The CAH Award for Achievement in Creative Non-Fiction or Journalism was given to Desmond Rodriguez. The George Stillman Award for Achievement in Art was presented to Marissa Strickland. The CAH Award for Achievement in Performance was received by Matthew Jeroma. Walking away with the Marji Morgan Outstanding Student Award was Simone Tuilaepa. Aveline Layne accepted the Outstanding Graduate Student Artistic Achievement Award and Weston Morrow took home the Outstanding Graduate Student Scholarship Award.

The Outstanding Faculty Teaching Award went to Maya Chachava. The Outstanding Faculty Research Award was awarded to Volha Isakava. Marcus Desieno won the Outstanding Faculty Artistic Achievement Award. Yuanxia Liu was recognized for the Outstanding Non-Tenure Track Faculty Teaching Award. Finally, the Outstanding Faculty Service Award went to Chong Eun Ahn.

Interim Dean of the College of Arts and Humanities Todd Shiver thinks it is important to honor students and faculty within the College of Arts and Humanities because they “go above and beyond.”

“Some students excel beyond their classmates. In our college they may have a special talent… I think deserve a little recognition for that,” Shiver said.

Interim Associate Dean of the College of Arts and Humanities Scott Robinson believes the relationship between students and faculty is a big reason for the success of the college.

“I think the relationship is different in our college because we are humanists. We have a humanistic point of view and it is about the human touch,” Robinson said. “The relationships we have faculty to students are about those human touches and that’s what the students and faculty key in on.”