Corporate America loves Valentine’s Day

Corporate America loves Valentine’s Day

Mariah Valles, Editor-in-Chief

Unfortunately for gullible Americans, Valentine’s Day is one big marketing scheme that  is predicted to cost each individual about 160 dollars this year (National Retail Federation). Teddy bears, candy and other extravagances make department stores the number one destination for Valentine’s day shopping at 33 percent of shoppers, according to NRF.

Walking into a department store after the second week of January is disappointing to say the least. Aisles upon aisles are full of pink and red and the holiday has already begun to make its mark. The words, “I have to get it now because by the time I come back… it’ll be gone” prove such a problematic approach to the holiday focused around love and appreciation. Valentine’s Day shouldn’t leave people thinking about whether they “did enough” or, more importantly, purchased enough to keep their significant other happy.

About 55 percent of Americans celebrate the holiday of love, spending an estimated $18.2 billion overall (Good Housekeeping).

According to the Odyssey Online, 53 percent of women say they’d end their relationship if they didn’t receive a Valentine’s Day gift. This goes to show that society cares too much about monetary assets. Rather than worrying about partners spending $160 on a box of chocolates or a pair of earrings, couples should be focusing on the smaller, more memorable moments in life.

This isn’t to say that couples can’t celebrate Valentine’s Day, but rather that the holiday shouldn’t be surrounded around marked up teddy bears and subpar boxes of chocolate.

Valentine’s Day should be a day where couples take time out of their regular busy schedules to slow down and catch up with their partner. It should be a day that doesn’t require checking bank accounts or worrying about financial situations. It’s obvious that the way we spend Valentine’s Day now does not include stepping away from stressing about finances.

Even if somebody is fortunate enough to not worry about spending $160 on one cheesy holiday, it’s simply unnecessary to do so. The worst part about it all is that, according to finder.com, about 17 percent of the population will receive an unwanted Valentine’s Day gift in 2019. The marketing teams and companies take the win on this one.

If you choose to celebrate Valentine’s Day, I hope you do not give in to the marketing scheme of corporate America. Enjoy the day with a significant other, loved one or group of friends. Take the day to slow down and relax.