Dugmore Hall to be finished by fall 2019

Snow, thaw, mud, freeze, ice. Winter weather makes construction on the new residence hall more difficult. Dugmore Hall is expected to open Fall of 2019, but this winter weather may delay the process.

Payton Parke, Staff Reporter

In the summer 2017, the CWU Board of Trustees agreed to start construction on a new residence hall in the northwest of campus due to the student housing problems that the university has had recently due to the increased rate of enrollment.

Dugmore Hall is planned to open in the fall of 2019. It is a 105,000 square feet of new residence hall and dining facility to serve the students and bring a new dining hall to the north end of campus.

According to Tricia Rabel, Executive Director of Housing and Residence Life, 320 rooms will be for first-year students, while 80 rooms on the fourth floor are open to sophomores and above. She also said that students currently are able to register for rooms in the new hall, and that the fourth floor is already fully booked.

The hall will feature double rooms and some single rooms. It will also have suite style bathrooms for the double rooms and communal showers as well. A communal kitchen will be placed on the first floor for all students in Dugmore to use. It will also feature a turn around similar to the one at Wendel.

The new residence hall is named Dugmore Hall in honor of Owen Dugmore, who taught in CWU’s Department of Psychology for 45 years, from 1969 to 2014, and also provided personal counseling services to students at the Student Medical and Counseling Clinic on campus.

The hall had a $40 million budget with $31 million of it going to Lydig the general contractor. This left the university with $9 million for miscellaneous items including interior furniture and a new parking lot with 250 spaces.

Dugmore Hall is the first hall to use a progressive design build which was decided upon after working closely with Lydig and Mahlum for a more collaborative process.

This is a new approach and had no delays or setbacks according to rabel keeping the project on schedule.

“We select an architecture and contractor team, that partner together,” Rabel said. “So they bid for it together, they designed it (Dugmore) with everything in mind as they went. It’s been a really healthy positive.”

The hall sits in the northwest corner of campus close to the new soccer field and Tomlinson Stadium. Across Dean Nicholson Boulevard students can find Brooks Library and Farrell Hall.

In the summer of 2017 the board of trustees put Dugmore Hall into action due to the crisis of student housing and the need for more rooms. This hall is going to relive some of the housing crisis.

The design of the hall is based on what students have asked for; a lot of light. In all of the study rooms there are full length glass windows allowing lots of light into the hall. These windows will be able to be drawn on with glass pens for studying.