Faculty exhibit gives Ellensburg community perspective on art

This piece, by Glen L. Bach titled Lost & Found was created in 2018. The piece was categorized as Encaustic. Pictured here is a gentleman who observed the piece for quite some time.

Payton Parke, Staff Reporter

The biennial faculty art exhibit is underway. This a faculty led art show displaying all of their pieces and work. It kicked off Jan.15 and is open daily to students and the community at the Sarah Spurgeon Gallery.

Sculpture lecturer Joshua Humphrey talked about his art and what it means to have his work in the exhibit.

“Any opportunity to exhibit is a chance to share what we do with gallery viewers. It pushes artists to complete work, possibly try out new ideas, and offers a chance to interact with the public” Humphrey said “Generally, artists seek opportunities to show their work, and it benefits both artist and the community,” Humphrey said.

Humphrey also described his niche in art. He has a very unique craft.

“As a luthier, I primarily build guitars and other stringed instruments for musicians. This exhibit gave me a chance to show a completed instrument, a Turkish style oud which is a guitar which has 11-strings and a bowl-shaped back,” Humphrey said. “However, it also allowed me to show some work which is not music related, which is an exciting opportunity for me. I teach the wood design sequence in the department here.”

The guitar is on display in the exhibit.

Stephen Robison, Associate professor in ceramics talked about the event. He has several pieces on display in the exhibit, all of them ceramics.

“The faculty exhibition is a way that students can see that we are professionals in our disciplines, and it gives them an opportunity to see our work in person rather than in images from the internet. Actually seeing the work and being able to walk around it is much more informative,” Robison said.

The exhibit features woodwork, basket weaving, ceramics and a piece on the rabbits dying because of the toxic waste in Hanford.

Robison made a great statement about why the exhibit is every two years and how it is beneficial to the students and community.

“We mount a faculty exhibition every two years so students also see the progression in our work and understand that we are not stagnant in our process,” Robison said.

The Gallery is open weekdays 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and weekends 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. It is located in Randall Hall on Dean Nicholson Boulevard.