New Dean of Student Success

Gregg Heinselman begins his new position as Dean of Student Success starting Winter Quarter.

Payton Parke, Staff Reporter

Correction 1/24/19: The last paragraph of this story states that ASCWU President Edith Rojas encouraged students to call Gregg Heinselman “triple G”. Rojas did not encourage students to call Heinselman “triple G”; Heinselman himself did. 

After a seven month search, CWU has elected Gregg Heinselman as Dean of Student Success.

CWU Provost Katherine Frank was a part of the selection process.

“We are really lucky, [Heinselman] is bringing a lot of experience with him to CWU,” Frank said. “He has spent the majority of his career in student life.”

Heinselman made the 22-hour drive to CWU from the upper midwest in Wisconsin.

Heinselman started at CWU on Jan. 14. He will be replacing William Schafer, who served as the interim Dean of Student Success during the university’s search for a permanent one. According to Frank, the university is thankful to Schafer for taking the position while the university looked for someone to fill it permanently.

Heinselman brings more than 30 years of experience with all of those years being in student affairs. The university is excited to have his experience added to the staff.

Heinselman is a first-generation college student who has passion and drive. Heinselman has been in student success at the University of Duke as well as the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.

Heinselman began his career at Duke University serving as dean of student life, from there he went to Executive Director of University Centers and Campus Life at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville. Heinselman also was the Director of the Overman Student Center and Student Life at Pittsburg State University.

Heinselman resigned from being Assistant Chancellor for Student Affairs and Title IX. Coordinator at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls to join us wildcats at CWU.

“As a first generation college student, I benefited greatly from the many faculty mentors and advisors that took the time and interest in support of my learning,” Heinselman said in a CWU press release. Heinselman finds it deeply personal to help students/faculty and assist them with anything they might need.

The position of Dean of Student Success concerns the life of students from housing to compliance.

“He understanding and recognizes that financial aid and expenses matter, he understands that our students has complex lives in many cases, that not only involves outside obligations but might in family connections or that they also have work commitments and busy lives, he understands the pressures that face students with complex lives,” Frank said.

ASCWU President Edith Rojas was also on the selection committee, and said that she encouraged students to call him “Triple G” as students did at past universities because of the  three “g’s” in his first name. Heinselman is going to be a great fit for our Wildcat culture and really bring all his experience and expertise to CWU, Rojas said.