Wellington’s Wildfire Preview

People gather around to make smores at Wellingtons Wildfire during homecoming week last year.

CWU Public Affairs

People gather around to make smores at Wellington’s Wildfire during homecoming week last year.

Matt Escamilla, Scene Editor

The Wellington Wildfire event on Wednesday, Oct. 10 at the CWU Community Fields and Challenge course is a place for students to take a break from classes and work and spend time outside. It’s free to attend, and there will be different activity options and music playing from 88.1 The ‘Burg.  There will be a 35-foot tall swing, crate stacking, and an alpine tower with many ways to get to the top. The event will have free food, drinks and of course a bonfire throughout the event. This event happens every year during homecoming week.

Jocelyn Matheny, Campus Life and Facilities Coordinator has planned the event for the last two years. “It was the first thing right out of the gate that I was tasked with in this role,” Matheny said.

Gage McHenry, brand manager at 88.1 The ‘Burg recommends attending the event for networking possibilities. “Be involved early as you can–that’s where you meet your friends for life,” McHenry said.

According to Melissa Robertson, Climbing Wall and Challenge Course Coordinator at the Recreational Center, Wellington’s Wildfire is a good representation of the student body.

“I know a lot of people that are now living together, roommates that met there a few years ago it’s a great place to meet people,” Robertson said.

CWU Public Affairs

Free chili, cornbread,  and drinks will be available at the event. There will be a vegetarian option for the chili available. For anybody who may not want chili, the food truck will be available with its normal menu, however, there is a cost at the food truck.

Wellington’s Wildfire is also a great opportunity for foreign exchange students to experience American culture. Matheny said that her favorite group that attends the event are the international students due to getting to see them make a s’more for the first time.