“Zoolander” Bingo Night a success

Matt Escamilla, Scene Editor

Going to social events on campus in the first week of a term is a fun and easy way for students to break the ice with one another while at the same time making CWU feel like their second home.

This is especially true in the beginning of fall quarter. That is the intention of Bad Movie Bingo Night, created by Katelyn Clavette special events coordinator within Campus Activities and her coworker Lacey Enos.

“We decided on a Bad Movie Bingo because it was a quick and an easy event to plan,” Clavette said.

“Zoolander” Bad Movie Bingo was held Saturday, Sept. 22 in the SURC Theater.

Clavette and her fellow event staffers arrived with 100 bingo cards. In total, about a 110 students showed up for laughs, free treats and drinks.

“The turnout was great, especially for a Saturday night,”Clavette said. “Most of our events are free and it’s a great way to meet people.”

Deann Powelson, a freshman and one of the three prize winners was referred to the event by a friend. Prizes included Starbucks gift cards and Zoolander memorabilia.

“I enjoyed it, haven’t seen it [Zoolander] yet,” Powelson said.

Freshman theatre major Sophie Maio was another prize winner. Maio said she loves the movie and thought the event was a great idea and well run. The event was a good way to get out of the house and not stress about anything, Maio said.

Maio hopes for more events like this the remainder of the school year. However, this event will be the only of its kind this quarter, according to Clavette.

“It’s possible there could be more [Bad Movie Bingo Nights] in future quarters like winter and spring, but not this quarter,” Clavette said. “Campus Activities is aiming for a variety of different events.”

The event also appealed to those who are transfer students. Sophomore transfer student Zachary Adams wanted to get out and see what was going on around campus. According to Adams, his former school, Walla Walla Community College, did not have events like Bad Movie Bingo.

CWU emphasises interaction and getting involved around campus, according to Assistant Director of Housing John Mounsey.

“The biggest thing that we promote is for students to engage. This is really on any level,” Mounsey said. “Central will begin to feel more like home when students have personal relationships or connections with other students, faculty or staff.”

An easy way for new students to break the ice with fellow students is not only at events, but within the residence halls, according to Mounsey.

“In the residence halls we provide the lounges with simple activities as another option fostering student interactions,” Mounsey added. “These opportunities continue throughout the year and we work hard to help students find their niche. We say and believe that ‘You belong at Central.’”