“Unrelenting” designers prepare for fashion show

Bryce Jungquist, Staff Reporter

The 22nd annual spring fashion show is supported by the Student Fashion Association. It’s put on by United States Institute for Theatre Technology, the fashion show production class and the apparel, textiles, and merchandising program. The name of the event this year is “unrelenting.”

Show times are at 3 p.m., and 7 p.m. on June 2. A silent auction will take place an hour before each event. The Milo Smith Tower Theatre inside McConnell Hall is the location of the show.

Tickets can be purchased at the event, or earlier from the Wildcat Shop and online at cwu.edu/tickets. Prices range from $10-$12.

Andrea Eklund is the director of the production. She is an associate professor in the apparel, textiles and merchandising program and teaches several classes which put together the event.  

She said the spring fashion show is good for CWU students because they can get a glimpse of something they could do themselves.

“You have this production going on but you have all this backstage stuff,” she said. “What is exactly being produced by their peers, it’s something they can get involved in.”

She said the possibilities range from doing things that involve lighting, staging and public relations. The production is a good way for them to see what fellow students are involved in.

Eklund said this is notable in the ready-to-wear portion of the display where people can view upcoming trends that have been put together and styled by students.

Kyla Krieg, a senior majoring in apparel, textiles and merchandising, is one of the fashion designers in the show. She said every designer has a collection of three to five different garments.

“Mine is inspired by music, and drag shows actually. I have five looks,” she said. “They’re a mixture of swimwear, which I’ve been making for a few years, and clothing.”

Eklund said the name for the show this year is “unrelenting.” She said that finding a name is on the first day of the fashion show production course, and an assignment is given and due the next time class is held.

According to Eklund, the students are given rules and different things which need to appear on the poster. She said some of that is the correct proportions, information and inclusivity.

Eklund said when the class meets again, names are on the back of the posters which are then taped and placed throughout the room where students will review each one.   

“I try to have them not focus on the image so much rather than the name,” she said. “What could you do with that name?

She said that’s because there is a ready-to-wear part of the show and things from student designers. Eklund said they feature many different styles, looks and genders and want to make sure that they’re being inclusive.

She said after students do the review, they vote and whichever name has the most votes becomes the event’s theme.

Julia Jacobs, a junior majoring in apparel, textiles and merchandise, is another fashion designer for the show.

According to Jacobs, she’s excited to see her line and all the stuff that fellow students in the fashion production class have been working hard towards. Jacobs said the thing she’s anticipating most is the outcome of everyone’s different clothing collections.   

She said from a student designer view, the outfits that appear to be purchased at a store are put together by students.  

“It’s very inspiring, I think, [for] the audience to be like, ‘oh wow, these students, they made this’,” Jacobs said.  

Krieg said the spring fashion show highlights the the apparel, textiles and merchandising major. She said many people she’s had conversations with don’t know that apparel is offered as a major here.  

She said this event can get students to come to the university who wish to pursue a creative journey with a career. Krieg said fashion schools are very costly and it’s vital for those who are interested in this type of profession that one choice is attending CWU.  

“I just think it’s really neat that we have a theatre available and the resources and the knowledge teachers give us to put on fashion show and create a line,” Krieg said.