Expansion plans progress

Expansion plans progress

The multicultural center is a part of a proposed SURC expansion. According to Executive Director of Student Involvement Jeff Rosenberry, the expansion should be completed in three to five years.

Xander Fu

Xander Fu

Xander Fu

Matt Escamilla, Staff Reporter

The SURC feasibility committee met Monday, May 21 regarding SURC expansion plans and the proposed multicultural center.

The committee is planning a two-day trip to visit other student union buildings at universities around the state. Visits to Western Washington University, University of Washington and Seattle University are scheduled for the trip, which will leave the Monday after commencement.

The multicultural center is the brainchild of  recent student governments. According to ASCWU President Giovanni Severino, the multicultural center has been a priority since the beginning of the year.

“My board has been committed to working with the University to ensure that we have a multicultural [center] for the historically marginalized students on our campus,” Severino said.

A survey for student feedback regarding the expansion has been in the works for around two months. The survey will be available in the fall, according to Equity and Community Affairs Officer Myrinda Wolitarsky.

Executive Director of Student Involvement Jeff Rosenberry hopes students give genuine feedback when the expansion process heats back up.

“The process happens with intentional feedback from students and that starts with students taking the survey that comes out in the fall,” Rosenberry said.

Rosenberry asked for patience regarding the the expansion, especially since ASCWU is swearing in new members. Student government plans to complete the expansion in the next 3-5 years.

President Elect Edith Rojas also believes student feedback is highly valuable.

“What do you [students] want to see in this expansion? Do you want more space [or] food? If we have a multi-cultural space, what do you want that to look like?” Rojas said. “The SURC is student space, we gotta make sure that the student voice is 100 percent on that.”