Teeing off around Kittitas County

Tanner Gunnells

Beautiful views over-looking the driving range at the Ellensburg Golf Club.

Gunnar Hinds, Staff Reporter

With the weather finally warming up, the season for golfing is here. Whether you’re experienced or a beginner, now is a great time to get into the swing of things at one of Ellensburg’s various golfing attractions.

Chase Martin, a CWU student studying marketing, loves to golf and has a keen insight regarding the top places to go in the area.

“I really enjoy going out in the spring time and golfing. It’s a great way to get away from the stress of school and work,” Martin said.

Ellensburg Golf and Country Club is the only golf course that has a driving range and an unique course.

Martin mentioned that Ellensburg Golf and Country Club’s course is very fun to go to even if you just want to hit a couple balls at the driving range.

Ellensburg has a very reasonable price if you are just trying to go to the range. A bucket of balls ranges from $5 for a small bucket and $7 for a large bucket.

“I love going out and hitting a couple golf balls after a long day at school. It is very relaxing and fun, especially if you bring a couple buddies,” Martin said.

Trace Sutich, a senior double majoring in business and marketing, has been golfing since he was just a kid and really enjoys going out and golfing on the weekdays when he isn’t working or at school.

“My favorite course to go to in the area has got to be Tumble Creek,” Sutich said.

Tumble Creek is ranked as one of the top 10 golf courses in the state because of how well it is kept up and how exceptional the greens are.

Tumble Creek is a private course in Cle Elum, Washington. Members get first pick at tee time, so for the public, it can be hard to get in.

“Most of the time you have to go with one of the members and I’m very lucky to have made such good relationships with some of the members while working,” Sutich said.

It is possible for non-members to get a tee time at Tumble Creek, but it must be scheduled at least a month in advance because of how busy the course can get.

Rope Rider Golf Course is just a couple of miles from Tumble Creek and is a public golf course owned by Suncadia, a resort in Cle Elum that has become a hotspot for people on vacation. This golf course is a great spot for beginners who are learning how to golf.

“I would recommend going to either Ellensburg Golf and Country Club or Rope Rider Golf Course if you are trying to learn how to play the game,” Sutich said.

Both courses are very reasonable in price. Ellensburg Golf and Country Club costs around $35 to play a whole game and Rope Rider costs around $50. If you want to rent a cart it will cost you about another $10-15 on top of the round of golf.

Doug Benedict is a very talented golfer and has been golfing since he was seven years old. He is a graduate from CWU and works at Suncadia. Benedict mentioned he loves to play golf in the area this time of year because of the great weather and courses in the area.

“It’s awesome to have such great courses in the area. It makes it so easy to go out and improve your game at any time in the week,” Benedict said.

Benedict mentioned that he enjoys the people who work at the Suncadia Golf Course because they are always willing to give you pointers on how to improve your game.

“The pro shop guys are amazing, they will give you pointers if you are having a tough time with a certain aspect of your game and will recommend the best equipment out there,” Benedict said.

Benedict mentioned that equipment is a huge part of your game, and if you don’t have good clubs, then you won’t get the best results when golfing.

Benedict recommended going to a driving range and renting the clubs they have to see what works best for you and to see if you like a certain brand of club or golf ball.

“Ellensburg is a great spot to be in if you want to learn the game of golf. I would highly recommended giving the sport a shot,” Sutich said. “You never know, you might fall in love with it.”