OPR puts on new Umptanum Ridge hike

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Micah Chen, Staff Reporter

The Umptanum Ridge used to be an off-limit area for Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals (OPR) to hike, due to governing land laws. This is not the case anymore.

“We recently got a new permit from the Governing Land Management for that area,” said OPR staff member Nick Poprawski. “This is going to be brand new for most of us, as we haven’t explored this area yet.”

The Umptanum Ridge Hike is set for Saturday, April 29. Students will meet at OPR at 9 a.m., with a return time set at 3 p.m. The cost is $35 for students, and $40 for non-students. There will be a pre-trip meeting Thursday April 26 at 6 p.m. at OPR.

The Umptanum Ridge Hike promises to be one of OPR’s most scenic hikes yet. Located 47 miles south of Ellensburg, OPR will be taking the group down there in a vehicle.  

Poprawski said the hike has frequent views of the Yakima River and canyons all around.

According to the Washington Trails Association website, there’s plenty of mountain ranges as well. A skyline view of the Stewart Mountain Range can be seen during the ascent, and Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams can be seen at the top.

The website also added that there is plenty of wildlife like elk, rattlesnakes and herds of bighorn sheep on the Ridge.

Leading the hike will be multi-year hiking veteran, Kayla Gallentine. She has seen plenty of Washington’s premier hikes, but she had particularly high praise for Umptanum Ridge.

“As far as the Central Washington region goes, this is one of the best hikes,” said Gallentine. “The pre-trip meeting will go over the itenary of what to expect. We’ll know the weather conditions, and we’ll tell hikers what to bring along.”

It is recommended that hikers wear comfortable shoes that will be able to withstand wet and muddy conditions along the path.

Multiple layers of clothing are also recommended, as well as a backpack large enough to carry those layers.

The hike is around six miles round-trip and is being described as a challenging but manageable hike.

“The elevation gain is 2,400 feet,” Poprawski said, “It’s not crazy hard, but it’s certainly not a walk in the park. No previous experience in hiking is required.”

Not only is it a scenic hike, but it’s a great opportunity to interact with new people in the CWU community.

“It’s fun because you get to meet people who like to do what you like to do,” said OPR staff member Kendra Turner. “You might not know other people that like the outdoors, but on a trip like this you’ll definitely find them.”

You can sign up for the Umptanum Ridge Hike by going into the OPR store, or by signing up online at https://www.cwu.edu/opr/ but space is limited and filling quickly.