Stickers feature sex, politics and war

Daisy Perez, Scene Editor

Stickers encased in glass frames: A naked woman sitting wearing  a gorilla mask is captioned “Pussy Power.” A bold black and white sticker reads “IMPEACH NIXON” and another depicts former president George W. Bush with a large Pinocchio-like nose with the caption “LIAR!”

The Paper Bullets: 100 years of Political Stickers from Around the World is the first time the exhibit has appeared in the Pacific Northwest. The exhibit contains over 1,600 stickers that demonstrate stickers as street art and reveal history as well as historical movements of their time. The topics include police brutality, sex, racism, war, labor, surveillance and the environment.

The co-curators are Catherine Tedford and Oliver Baudach. Tedford has collected over 10,000 stickers since 2003 and is the gallery director at St. Lawrence University. Baudach is the founder and director of Hatch Kingdom, the world’s first museum devoted entirely to sticker art.

Tedford said in a statement that she first noticed stickers during a trip to East Berlin “where the streets splashed with creative and powerful images and messages…” While Baudach said that, he also mentioned how his interest started when he was 12-years-old and lived in Spain. It wasn’t until his friend gave him big stickers that he truly become fascinated with them.

Baudach and Tedford, along with a group of students they took to Germany, collaborated on an exhibit of street stickers from around the world that has now become known as The Paper Bullets exhibit.

Interim Director of the Museum of Culture & Environment Hope Amason said the museum wanted to find an exhibit that showcases relevant social issues.

“The stickers give voice to ideas and social issues,” Amason said. “A lot of people look at them and think they’re coming from the progressive right, which not all of them are, but that’s because the progressive left has orientations to fighting back.”

Amason said that the sticker that stands out to her is one that reads “No Nation.” It features a snowboarder with wire cutters and barbed wire behind it.

This sticker makes her think of the “current immigration debate, but this sticker actually addresses European immigration,” Amason said. “But it makes me think about current immigration issues that are transforming into, not just a U.S. debate, but human rights throughout the world.”

Intern at the Museum of Culture & Environment Olivia Bean, is a junior majoring in anthropology. Every week she posts a sticker of the week on the museum’s Facebook page.

“There’s older stickers that are relevant today like the ones about sexual assault,” Bean said. “It shows how so much needs to change.”

Last week’s sticker of the week was of a man on a boat shouting “SHUT UP” at people drowning in the water and the caption read “Climate Change isn’t Real!”