Aloha, from the islands to CWU

Alexa Olague, Staff Reporter

Each time sophomore rugby player Vili Toluta’u scores, he flaunts the Maui area code 808 on the outside of his wrist and he throws up the shaka sign. The gesture, from Hawaiian culture, suggests the spirit of “Aloha.”

On the inside of his wrist is “Joshua 1:9,” a favorite scripture of his, which advises him to be strong and courageous.

“For me, the shaka means hang loose, smile, and thank the Lord, my family, and my friends back home for all of the support,” Toluta’u said.

For Toluta’u, moving from the beautiful islands of Hawaii to the snow-covered valley of Ellensburg has not been the easiest task.

“I miss the food, the weather, the beaches, all of the above, I miss it all,” Toluta’u said.

However, Toluta’u said he enjoys the small town feel of Ellensburg and is happy with his decision to attend Central.

“I didn’t really know much about Central until I met Coach Pacheco in Las Vegas while he coached a USA developmental team,” Toluta’u said. “Coach talked to me about the great school and the great rugby team.”

For head Rugby coach Pacheco, recruiting a player like Toluta’u was a no brainer. The vast talent Toluta’u possessed at a young age was especially appealing.

“I was coaching a USA National Development Team in Las Vegas and I decided to bring in a young player [Toluta’u] to be on the team that had senior players,” Pacheco said. “He handled it very well for the youngest guy on the squad and his on field performance was great.”

This was not the first time Toluta’u had been the youngest player out on the rugby pitch. At the age of 13, Toluta’u began tagging along with his older brother, Samuela Toluta’u, to his rugby practices and fell in love with the sport as soon as he began to play.

“My older brother is my biggest influence,” Toluta’u said. “He’s the one that got me into the sport. He always dragged me around to his practices back home. I just started playing with the older men, and fell in love with the sport.”

Toluta’u’s home is thousands of miles away from Ellensburg in Wailuku, Hawaii.

“I am a big believer in diversity, [he] was our first player we recruited from Hawaii,” Pacheco said. “He brings a different way of thinking and I believe the diversity we have on the team exposes everyone to different ideologies which helps them grow as individuals.”

Toluta’u has his goals set and plans to stick to them.

“I want to go as far as I can, such as the professional leagues and meeting new people around the world,” Toluta’u said. “I want to represent my family and the U.S.A.”

According to Coach Pacheco, these goals for Toluta’u are not too far out of reach.

“Vili has been identified as a potential USA Eagle by the National Team,” Pacheco said. “He has moved up the national team from high school All-American, to under 20 national team, to collegiate All-American. The next move up for him is the National Team. This speaks to his immense talent, drive, and coachability.”

Toluta’u is an openside Flanker. In the game of rugby, this position wears the number seven.

“My position is like the all-around player,” Toluta’u said. “It is basically like a linebacker and running back in football. The flanker is always around the ball.”

Coach Pacheco describes the openside flanker position as being a ‘ball winner.’ Pacheco also describes the position as someone who is responsible for maintainng a lot of possession and causing defensive turnovers, as well as being a fast player who can tackle well.

“Vili has all of these attributes, but he is also a great ball carrier and has a very good catch/pass ability,” Pacheco said. “On the field he is a player that will empty his tank every time he steps out on the field, He optimizes his effort. He is definitely a ‘lead by example’ guy because he is so active.”

Pacheco describes Toluta’u as the class clown of the team and provides levity to stiff situations that sometimes occur.

“Every game to me is an experience,” Toluta’u said “In my first year in college, especially when I got to play with everybody, seeing new things, other colleges.”

The men’s rugby team is known around the nation for its excellence and success while competing at the Division 1 level. In rugby’s transition from a club sport into an official varsity sport within Central’s athletic department this school year, coach Pacheco describes the fall season as productive.

“We played some sevens and won a couple of tournaments,” Pacheco said. “We have just begun training for the most important part of our season, the Varsity Cup which begins April fourth. The matches we play before then will be our preparation.”

In the previous two years the men’s rugby squad has made the semifinal game. But this year, the team has set its sights on making the grand final.

“We are not there yet, but we can get there provided we change some of our training behaviors,” Pacheco said. “We commit to the sacrifice that it will take to be champions.”

The Wildcats will travel to Boise State University to take on the Broncos on Jan. 31 before traveling up to Bellingham to take on Western Washington University on Feb. 7.