OPR’s Spring Symposium offered something for everyone last week on the east patio

By MADISON MCCLAUSLAND, copy editor

Last Thursday on the SURC patio, Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals hosted the annual Spring Symposium, which included live music, mini clinics, vendor booths and grub.

One of the live bands, Fight or Flight, entertained the audience with their indie rock style. Colin Robinson, senior creative writing major, was happy with the music.

“Sometimes Emerson sounds like Dave Matthews,” Robinson said. “It was my first time hearing them play, but I wish I would have a long time ago.”

The band consists of lead singer and guitarist Emerson Folker, bassist and backup vocalist Jon Mintz, and Arthur Lang on the drums.

All of the band members have experience and history with music. Folker started playing piano at age 6 and became interested in the guitar at age 12. Mintz started playing the tuba at age 10 and has experimented with other instruments ever since. Lang has been playing the drums for 15 years, and picked up the guitar in high school. Both Folker and Lang taught themselves how to play their instruments.

Fight or Flight has been together for a little over a year.

“We got started in 2012 when we met through a mutual friend, Justin Abts, and found out we were all musicians, started jamming and were like yeahyuh,” Folker said. The boys have several inspirations for their music and style including Pearl Jam, John Mayer, Red Hot Chili Peppers and electronic music.

“The Old Schoolhouse Brewery in Winthrop was our favorite venue because of the great atmosphere and energetic crowd,” Folker said.

Fight or Flight took several months to decide on their band name.

“We thought and debated about it for over six months,” Lang said. “While brainstorming at our kitchen table we came up with Fight or Flight. Emerson was hesistant at first, but then it stuck.”

Fight or Flight played a vairety of songs at the Spring Symposium including “I am a Robot,” “Sail” and “When the Wolf Cries.” The event was Anthony Boreher’s second time seeing Fight or Flight.

“Their song, “When the Wolf Cries,” gives off a good vibe,” Boreher, a sophomore exercise science major said.

Rachael Sweetman, Central alum, came back to campus to rock out with the band.

“Fight or Flight is upbeat, and has a great stage presence,” Sweetman said. “Not only do they play good music, they are good people.”

Fight or Flight will be moving to Portland, OR. this summer to create a bigger fan base, travel and test their luck in the music scene. The band has been saving and sacrificing for the move.

“I recently sold my car for a band van and a new bass so it’s possible for us to travel,” Mintz said.

The band will also be working on releasing an E.P. within the next few months.