The EverGreen Scene: Marijuana retail lottery winners announced for Ellensburg

evergreen sceneBY Sullivan Carter

Contributing Writer

The release of the marijuana retail lottery results came with good and bad news Saturday. The good news is the state is one step closer to selling marijuana in stores; the bad news is that step was a baby one.

While the winners have been released, there is still a long ways to go in terms of selling marijuana in stores, as the applicants must now pass a lengthy review by the Washington State Liquor Control Board.

The WSLCB will check to see if the winning applicants match the multiple rules for licensure.

The applicant must pass a criminal history and financial investigation, as well as have a location that is not within 1,000 feet of a school, park or other location that 1-502 lists.

If for some reason, the winners of the lottery do not meet the WSLCB standards, the next applicant on the list will take their spot and undergo the same review.

Ellensburg has been allotted two marijuana retail stores, so this means that the first two applicants chosen are the winners for now.

The two winners were Best Budz, which will be located at 1401 Dolarway, and Ellensburg Apothecary, which will be located at 2213 S. Canyon Road. Both applicants do not wish to be named at this time.

The WSLCB will continue to release information regarding marijuana retail over the next few months as they review each applicant. Marijuana is believed to be available in stores sometime this summer.