King 5 Sports Anchor Paul Silvi encourages Central students to follow their dreams

silvi

BY Camille Meador

Staff Reporter

On April 16, King 5 Sports Anchor Paul Silvi spoke to Central students about his career experiences and pursuing their dreams. Silvi presented to a group about 40 students on his life as a sports journalist.

Before working in Washington state, Silvi was a sports writer in the south. It was not until later in his life that he decided he wanted to go into television. Nowadays, Silvi lives his life enjoying each day he goes to work.

Silvi says his current position doesn’t feel like work. When asked how covering sports is different than the regular news, Silvi explained that the sports segment is more for entertainment, and there isn’t a lot of death and destruction.

To help students connect with his message, Silvi showed news bloopers. The bloopers were used to show students that no one is above mistakes. Silvi also wanted to remind his audience to watch out for egos in an industry where they can easily be inflated.

Although Silvi gets recognized from time to time, he says that he doesn’t feel like a local celebrity.

“Some people are excited to meet you, others couldn’t care less,” Silvi said.

Silvi encourages going to an advertising company for a day, or shadowing a news reporter for a day. His philosophy is that young people need to chase their dreams now.

“If you want something, do it,” Silvi said. “You have plenty of time to make mistakes. Chase your dream early; you’ll have a lot more success chasing it early than say when you’re 40 or 50. Do what you love. Don’t just take a job.”