News: STEM majors win place in Samuelson renovations

BY JACK JOHANNESSEN, Staff Reporter

Locating departments in Samuelson has been subject to change, due to the legislature’s preference in funding science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) programs over liberal arts.

According to Linda Schactler, Central’s chief of staff, at the beginning of the academic year of 2013 the sixth proposal for locating departments in Samuelson was rejected by the legislature.

“At that point the departments in Samuelson were public affairs, ITS and communications,” Schactler said.

Schactler said the proposal to install those departments in Samuelson was rejected because the legislature is more interested in funding STEM programs.

“The conversation is focused on STEM,” Schactler said.

STEM departments replaced public affairs, communications and information technology services (ITS) in Samuelson.

“There is a significant, open and plain bias in funding STEM,” Schactler said. Schactler said the legislature is focused on educating students in technical fields because of technology-oriented business’ influence on the legislature and society’s more positive perception towards the sciences.

Schactler also said Samuelson would accommodate more online learning facilities, due to the increase in online enrollments.

Laurie Stehle, director of online programs, said housing Central’s online learning programs within Samuelson gives professors a place to work, adds value to online classes and allows professors to reach students outside the traditional classroom.

“We’re happy to get the opportunity to spread out,” Stehle said.

Stehle said her department has a wish list that includes computer labs and network offices that would allow students to practice cyber threat defense. Information Technology and Administrative Management (ITAM) offers minors in cyber security, and Samuelson could offer the facilities ITAM needs to enhance cyber security education.

According to Tim Englund, math department chair, the department would benefit from moving into Samuelson.

Englund said the math department is disjointed; classes are taught in both Bouillon and Hertz Hall. Samuelson will allow the math department to be consolidated into one place.

Englund hopes a student study lounge will be among the features in Samuelson.

Meanwhile, public affairs, ITS and communications will have a difficult time being included in legislative proposals indefinitely.

“I think that the legislature probably doesn’t have the right perception,” Cesar Garcia, communications department chair, said.

Garcia believes the legislature incorrectly lumps communication together with humanities, rather than seeing it as an important field to outside industry. Garcia said the communications  department is disappointed that the department no longer has a place in Samuelson.

Both Schactler and Garcia said value in communication and public affairs should not be ignored by the state legislature or society.

“The reputations of companies is one of the most important assets,” Garcia said.

Garcia hopes perceptions will change, but understands that change will be slow.

Schactler said the theoretical final departments in Samuelson include ITAM, Math, Computer Science and Online Learning.