Opinion: The 21-run: It’s not about you

BY DANIEL VELASQUEZ, Copy Editor

Glazed eyes, meaningless speech and two left feet: The result of a “successful” 21-run.

Turning 21 is the start of a new chapter in one’s life but requires a memorable (or rather unmemorable) initiation. Unfortunately, for all those turning 21, the celebration is more fun for those who have already paid their dues.

Recalling back to the last few hours before I was officially of age to buy my first legal drink, I was having the time of my life. Surrounded by good music, good food and even better friends, this is how I pictured my 21-run playing out.

Unfortunately, my friends had other plans.

Midnight was in sight and this would mark the start of a new era.

My friends had always reminded me how great it was to be 21, and my time was finally here.

It was midnight at last. I could officially walk into a bar (in the United States) and have no worries. If I were to tell you that I wasn’t nervous, I’d be lying. Adrenaline pumping in full force, my friends and I headed to the bar.

As one could guess, this is when the drinks started to flow like the Nile River, and the idea of maintaining sobriety drifted further away. Rather than remembering each individual drink for its unique taste, the process of drinking at the bars was comparable to mixing every drink at a soda fountain and drinking it all at once.

Before I knew it, the following morning had arrived, and my head felt like a balloon that had far too much air.

Although I felt and looked like a zombie, I made it through the night without too many problems and my 21-run was history.

People may wonder how this could possibly be enjoyable. In all honesty, it’s not  — at least for the first night of being 21.

There’s a point in the night where you go from hero to zero, and there isn’t much you can do about it, other than wait for the after effects to end the following day.

We need to break away from the idea that a “successful” 21-run equates to the birthday person feeling like death for the next couple days. I think that if they are your “real” friends, they will stand by you not wanting to get super drunk. If not, then you may want to re-evaluate your circle of friends.

A 21-run should be about going out, having a few drinks and making an experience you can remember. Surely, this is something I wish I could have been a part of.

Instead, most of the memories I have of my 21st birthday is how much pain I was in after it was all done. Fortunately, we have the power to make our own decisions and the choice of drinking heavily or not is yours.

After experiencing my 21-run, I am glad to say that it is behind me and I can say that I have no intentions of recreating that night — ever.