Sports: Simon Fraser hands Wildcats home loss Thursday night, 75-61

BY JAMES NARANJO, Staff Reporter

Despite a hot start and a strong first half, Central Washington women’s basketball lost to the Simon Fraser, 75-61, in Nicholson Pavilion on Jan. 6.

A hot start by senior forward Courtney Johnson led to a 3-0 Wildcat lead. Johnson again scored and extended the lead to 6-2. Sophomore center Jasmine Parker sank a short jumper pushing the Wildcat lead to 8-5.

At the 10:59 mark, senior guard Daisy Burke sank a three-pointer to give the Wildcats their final lead of the game at 18-15.

After a strong first half, the Wildcats didn’t bring the same focus into the second half.

“I don’t think we stuck to our game plan as well in the second half,” head coach Shawn Nelson said.

After a controversial travelling foul, the Wildcats began to shy away from the game plan, which led to untimely turnovers.

“After the call, I think we started to panic a little but, made silly decisions, and tried to force passes that weren’t there,” Nelson said.

Despite a hot shooting night for Johnson, who went 4-7 from three and scored 20 points, the Wildcats had trouble matching up in the low post. Simon Fraser’s senior forward Chelsea Reist, and senior Rebecca Langmead combined for 19 points.

“They got in great position to make shots, but it comes back to us and our turnovers,” Nelson said.

Central had their hands full inside as well as on the perimeter, trying to slowdown Simon Fraser star, Erin Chambers. Chambers is a member of the Canadian National team, and came in to this game averaging 23 points-per-game. On Thursday, Chamber scorched the Wildcats, dropping a game high 25 points.

“Erin’s going to score, she’s leading the conference in scoring,” Nelson said. “But I think she took some tough shots tonight, she had to work for her points.”

Chambers went 8-18 and scored 23 points with five assists.

Thursday was a case of mental errors that are easily fixable. The Wildcats will have their chance at redemption on Saturday. The Wildcats host rival Western Washington University at Nicholson pavilion at 7 p.m.