Sports: Women’s soccer loses to No. 11 Western on Senior Day in final seven minutes, 2-1

BY CAMERON DANIELS, Staff Reporter

The momentum of Senior Day and the wind of Ellensburg couldn’t keep Central Washington University’s women’s soccer team from beating No. 11 Western Washington.

A late goal by Western (15-1-0 overall, 12-1-0 Great Northwest Athletic Conference) propelled them to a 2-1 victory over the Wildcats (10-5-1 overall, 9-3-1 GNAC).

Despite a very strong and physical performance by the Wildcats’ defense and two emotionally charged seniors in their last home game, Morgan Wood and Tarah Duty, two set pieces from the corner from Western found their way into the goal.

“I thought it was a great game, Western is the best team we have in our region and in our conference and we’ve had two solid games against them,” head coach Michael Farrand said.

He added that he thought that the Wildcats responded well to the goals pushing Western’s goalie to make a great save after the Vikings scored.

“I’m happy that I’m gonna be leaving this field with a good game,” Duty said.  “I’m just proud to leave on that note.”

Central takes on Seattle Pacific Saturday and then will play SPU again in the first round of the GNAC tournament on Nov. 7.

Western locked up the top-seed for the tournament with the win.

The first half was a grudge match where the Wildcats had four shots to Western’s six.

Western’s goalie, senior Alyssa Beauchamp, made a great save on a shot towards the upper right corner of the goal, diving with full extension to punch it away.

The Vikings started the scoring in the second period in the 55th minute off of a corner kick that was deflected junior goalie Kayla Lipston, but then kicked through a cluster of defenders.

The Wildcats came back with a great shot on goal by sophomore forward Cassie Ripley.  Freshman midfielder Megan Ward had a shot off of the rebound that went wide.

Central finally answered in the 81st minute when junior midfielder Danielle Brandli passed to sophomore midfielder Reilly Retz who then forwarded it to freshman midfielder Meghan Ward.  Ward kicked it back across to a streaking Brandli who kicked it in for the goal.

Western responded 58 seconds later after a shot that was tipped out and led to another set corner kick.

Vikings’ senior Kristin Maris took advantage of a missed tap out by Lipston and put the ball in the back of the net.

The Wildcats threatened in the 86th minute but were turned away when Brandli centered it to  junior forward Hadli Farrand.

Farrand rose up to head the ball in, colliding with the goalie and drawing a yellow card.

“What we’re looking for right now is to improve every single game and get better and better and that way on our way out we’re going up and so hopefully we can just keep that rolling through Saturday, next Thursday and hopefully next Saturday too,” Brandli said.