Wildcats’ women’s volleyball team rebounds from home loss and sweep Nanooks

BY MAC CLARK, Staff Reporter

Getting back on track after a few losses can be done in many ways. But the Wildcats recently discovered the best way is by sweeping their very next opponent. That’s exactly what Central Washington women’s volleyball did on Saturday at Nicholson Pavilion, defeating Alaska Fairbanks in three sets, 25-17, 25-22, 25-21.

“Our wing defenders did much better tonight,” said redshirt sophomore libero Zoe Iida. “Lindsey (Milner) and I did not make the mistakes we made on Thursday night.”

Central Washington improved to 6-5 overall and 2-2 in the Great Northwest Athletic Conference. Alaska Fairbanks fell to 2-13 overall, 1-3 in GNAC.

The Wildcats dominated the first set hitting .417 to Fairbanks .231, which continued throughout the match. The Wildcats’ defense played well on the night and combined to dig 54 times against the Nanooks. Redshirt freshman outside hitter Lindsey Milner had 12 digs while Iida and redshirt sophomore libero Kaely Kight led the Wildcats with 11 and 15 digs, respectively

“Erin Smith stepped up tonight,” said senior outside hitter Emmy Dolan. “We did better playing together; when we play together we are on fire.”

Smith led the Wildcats’ with 12 kills.

The Wildcats will become road warriors once again when they travel north to Burnaby, CA to take on Simon Fraser on Oct. 3. Then on Saturday Oct. 5, Central will travel to Bellingham to play Western Washington.

“Yeah (Western Washington) is a tough environment, “said head coach Mario Andaya. “I think overall that whole trip is going to be tough because we have to be in Vancouver first, so we have to make sure we are grounded and take care of Simon Fraser with our best effort and go from there.”