Do you, LuLu

Mugs.indd

By EVAN THOMPSON, sports editor

So I had a 6.8 out of 10 review when I first saw my Lulu profile after my friend showed me the app on her phone.

Lulu is a free new app that allows women to rate guys after they meet or hook up with them, with a plethora of options and phrases that define our best and worst attributes. Let’s just say I was taken aback by the whole thing. 

I’m a little flattered that girls are taking the time to rate me. Just kidding, but seriously: What’s up with this app? I think it’s funny, really, and it’s entertaining poking fun at myself straight from other people’s mouths. But there were only two ratings for me at the time (there’s three—I’m up to 7.5. At least it’s not all bad)…both of which happened to be the exact same ratings down the line. Making matters worse, one of the comments says I am  “about as funny as a funeral.”

Ouch, ka-bibbles.

I think aside from that, and a few other discrepancies, Lulu is a fun and interesting new app that I expect will probably be pretty popular in the next couple of months. But I should mention that I’m not endorsing this app. Not at the moment, that is. You think I’m going to forget that 6.8 easily? I’ve gotten mixed reviews from my friends on their opinion of Lulu. They either don’t have any ratings of themselves, or they do and it ended up being above a nine.

I should start by saying I’m not going to claim this app is fake. But I had an initial theory for why the app could be fake. First off, the comments. I’m not exactly proud of it, but before my girlfriend, I literally had never cooked for a woman in my life. But according to the comment “#Dudecancook,” I’m apparently a guy who can in fact cook.

There’s red flag No. 1.

Furthermore, in my opinion, a lot of the phrases are pretty open ended and could be pointed at just about any average dude. But others seemed pretty spot-on. (Pure chance, maybe?)

I feel that I’m a pretty ambitious person, but if you knew me, you would know that I usually don’t jump straight into talking about myself. Both of the first two ratings, however, say that “my ambition is crazy-hot,” and “is without compare.” (Those weren’t complaints, just statements.)

Then there’s the issue with both of my first two ratings, where the categories matched and were the exact same score. Does that not strike you as a little odd? Well, it did for me.

There’s red flag No. 2.

So then I got to thinking about why the app might be fake, but it was mostly because I was scrambling to defend myself as my friends shouted, quite loudly I might add, every intimate detail the app conveyed about me.

I was blushing, yes. But anyways, back to my theory. I’ll admit, as the app becomes more popular and more guys are rated, their mission is starting to look more clear, which lowers the likelihood of my conspiracy theory.

But here’s how I explained it to them: Take a start-up app. With an idea like Lulu, you would think they makers are banking on girls bashing on guys more times than giving them good ratings.

The more bashing that goes on, the more rashly the guys will react, and more and more girls will laugh and feel compelled to rate again.

I know, it’s a crazy guess and quite frankly, I really don’t know if I believe it’s true.

But what I do believe is that this could secretly be my girlfriend’s doing. Then it would be a very, very sad day…until they make the women’s version that is. Then it will be the end of the world as we know it.