Heart over height

Naim Ladd’s 5-foot-7 height has not kept him from playing the game he loves

Arber Demiri

Do not let his 5-foot-7 height fool you. Naim Ladd is tenth in the GNAC in scoring.

Rachel Greve, Staff Reporter

Nicknamed “The Dream,” sophomore guard Naim Ladd is one of CWU’s stand out players.

Ladd, a graduate from Rainier Beach High School, became the first point guard in Washington history to win three straight 3A State Championships in his three years playing varsity basketball for the Vikings.

“When he was four or five he would shoot hundreds of jumpers on his tiny hoop,” Ladd’s father, Gary Ladd said, “He had a hoop at home and at his grandparent’s house. He always had a hoop wherever he went.”

It’s obvious Ladd has worked on his jump shots over the years. In last Thursday’s victory over Simon Fraser University Ladd had a career-high night, scoring 33 points.

“My teammates were just finding me in the right spots and I was knocking down my shots,” Ladd said. “Scoring 33 points was unreal. It was crazy hearing I had that much.”

Those 33 points didn’t surprise junior forward Jerome Bryant.

“He’s a scorer, he just goes,” Bryant said.

Standing at 5-foot-7, Ladd is one of the shortest on his team ­— and in the GNAC ­­ but it doesn’t seem to affect him much.

“I get posted up on a lot, but I also do a lot better at defending and picking up ball pressure,” Ladd said.

Teammate junior center Fuquan Niles talked about the chemistry between him and Ladd.

“We play good together, it’s like Chris Paul and DeAndre Jordan,” Niles said.

Ladd and Niles have known each other since middle school and have been teammates since high school.

“Once I knew he committed it was going to be a pleasure to play with him [again] because I’ve been playing with him since high school,” Ladd said.

Together the two are an unstoppable duo on the court.

In his first season starting, Ladd is doing all he can to prove to his coaches and teammates that he deserves this starting spot.

“Being a leader, coming off the bench starting this year. I feel like I have a bigger role this year making sure everyone is doing what they are supposed to be doing not only on but off the court,” Ladd said.

But basketball is more than just a sport to Ladd; basketball is something he loves to do and something he believes keeps him out of trouble. He began playing when he was about three or four years old.

His late grandfather, introduced him to basketball.

“I think about him every day,” Ladd said. “I think about the positive things he used to tell me and it gives me motivation when I’m down, I play for him.”

Ladd grew up going to his idol Jamal Crawford’s basketball games, and when Crawford was getting ready for the NBA he gave Ladd’s father a copy of his highlight reel from Michigan.

“He would always watch [Jamal’s] University of Michigan tape, wanting to be just like him,” Gary Ladd said.

Crawford, also graduated from Rainier Beach High School, making their connection stronger.

“I loved going to all of his high school games growing up,” Ladd said. H”e is a pretty big inspiration and role model to me,” Ladd added.

Ladd currently averages 16.8 points per game with 3.2 rebounds and 3 assists per game.