Young players find bigger role on team

Kofi Asiedu, Staff Reporter

Central Washington University’s women’s basketball team has many young players and many new faces. Kortney Grattic is the only senior on the team this season. The Wildcats are looking to take the next step this season, coming off a year finishing middle of the pack.

CWU (17-12, 10-10 GNAC) placed fifth in the GNAC last season. The top contenders for this season’s conference include: Alaska Anchorage, Western Washington and Montana State Billings.

CWU women’s basketball is projected to finish seventh in the GNAC.

CWU will be without second-leading scorer Mandy Steward this season, because she tore her achilles tendon. Steward averaged 10.1 points per game as a freshman last season. Her injury will have a major impact on the Wildcats this season.

Junior guard Jasmin Edwards led the team in scoring with 11.6 points per game last season and plans to to improve this season. Because this is Edwards’ third season as a starter, she is taking more of a leadership role this season.

“I feel really excited, [because] we have a lot of new girls and of course our returners,” Edwards said. “We have been playing and getting along so well. I’m really excited to get the season going.”

In light of Mandy Steward’s injury this will open the door for some of the young players.

“We need scorers. We had three or four last season. We are going to need someone to fill the void,” Steward said.

According to a GNACsports.com coaches poll, Western Washington is favored to win the GNAC this season. The Wildcats are familiar with Western Washington; as conference rivals, Central Washington plays Western twice a year.