Three places to get outdoor equipment

Hunter Ventoza, Staff Reporter

During spring, temperatures skyrocket and the days get longer. Ellensburg is known for its annual rodeo, but there’s more than cattle herding in this town.

There is no shortage of nearby campgrounds, hiking trails or launch points to float the Yakima River, and almost all equipment needed for a weekend adventure can be rented from a shop in town.

Two large competitors in the rentals market include Mountain High Sports and Central Washington University’s own Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals (OPR).

Those options and more can be the start to anyone’s weekend journey, without having to commit to actually buying the supplies needed.

Mountain High Sports

Mountain High Sports is located in the heart of downtown Ellensburg, near the intersection of East Fourth Avenue and North Pearl Street.

Instead of strictly offering rentals, Mountain High is a retailer for outdoor gear. Having one of the largest selections in the area, Mountain High resembles a small scale REI.

Tents, backpacks, climbing shoes and paddle boards are a few of the items on the list of rentals offered. Open seven days a week, picking up or dropping off rentals at Mountain High is hassle-free.

What sets Mountain High apart is their ski and snowboard packages, which can be rented per-season rather than just day-to-day or week-to-week. Anyone can rent from Mountain High Sports, student or non-student.

Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals

Commonly referred to as OPR, this shop is connected to the SURC building in the middle of campus. OPR stands out with its extensive selection of kayak and river floating equipment, which is not offered at nearby Mountain High Sports. Aside from a larger watersport rental selection, OPR offers items like camp stoves, water purifiers and even sleeping bags.

According to trip leader Walter Lackey, the most common items rented by students depends on the time of the year.

“Summer it’s inner tubes and rafts, any other time of the year it’s just tents and sleeping bags,” Lackey said.

Other features of OPR are its guided trips, which give students the assistance of an expert on the next adventure. For these events, a flat-fee is charged that often includes transportation and equipment.

A major restriction of OPR is their exclusivity on who can rent; those eligible include students, staff, and current members of the Alumni Association, according to its website. Rental prices vary for students, staff and alumni.

Rill Adventures

Rill Adventures is a specialized rental shop for those looking to spend time around the water. They specialize in river rafting and fly fishing equipment. However, rental prices are a bit higher than others in the area. Rill also offers shuttles to the launch-point and pick-up spot down the river for an added fee.

Rill offers professionally guided river floats or will supply renters with the gear and a push off the bank to guide their own trip.

Whether it’s a raft to float the Yakima River or a tent and backpack for a multi-day mountain adventure, Ellensburg has a reasonably priced equipment option available.