CWU set to celebrate pride week

Nic Cooper, Staff Reporter

Starting Monday, May 30, CWU’s EQUAL Club will be kicking off this year’s pride week, giving students a chance to come out and enjoy competitive field games, live music and most of all to learn and become more educated about the LGBTQIA+ community. EQUAL is bringing the new theme of ‘One Proud World’ to this year’s pride week and it’s something they’ve never done before.

“It’s all about recognizing the beautiful ways in which people are queer all around the world,” said Patrick Carpenter, EQUAL club president.

EQUAL’s  goal was to find a theme that reminds people that being part of the LGBTQIA+ community means there is a long shared history and global connection.

Above all, “One Proud World,” seeks to encourage all CWU students to look into themselves and find out what they are truly proud to be.

Carpenter said this is the biggest Pride Week has ever been and that prior to this year, the club would have only put on a dance and a drag.

“We’re having a block party where organizations and clubs who support us can come and show off, we’re having a live recording of our radio show “The Big Queer Dance Party” with pizza and promotional merchandise, and we are collaborating with Pride of Ellensburg, a new non-profit which is putting on the first pride festival in town,” Carpenter said.

In the latest press release for pride week, Nikki Marra, EQuAl faculty adviser and program director, said “I think it’s really important to the queer community. This is the first time they’ve had the chance to celebrate who they are with the people of the community.”

Ishmael Stinson, CWU alumni, said he’s never been to Pride Week here at CWU because he’s never met anyone that passionate about the topic to bring him along. But as an open-minded individual, he said he would be open to attending such an event and believes the Ellensburg community will accept Pride Week with open arms.

“Honestly I think everyone is growing more accustomed to the level of freedom and expression that makes everyone feel confident.,” Stinson said. “It’s great that we live in an era where all voices can be heard. Great time to be alive.”

Stinson believes an event like this that is in such support of individual freedom of expression is definitely something to be excited about and thinks the surrounding community should not only accept these expressions, but also embrace them.

Other activities taking place during the celebration include a dyke rally, a field day full of skills competitions, relay races and dodgeball, CWU amateur and a professional drag shows, a special film on Michael Sam highlighting his groundbreaking journey as the first openly gay player to ever be drafted by an NFL team, and the big queer dance party – in which participants can get a blank t-shirt and run through a course with powered paint setups along the way.

The week will end Saturday with the pride parade, featuring performances by Kiy Kiy Alexia, Troupe Rose Lavender Country, Aquasha DeLusty and Friends, ending with a puppy drag show, and the Queer Prom, inviting all students out to a neon-glow masquerade themed dance.

Pride week is sure to be filled with positivity and enthusiasm. Come out with some friends and celebrate “One Proud World” with live music, fun games and some good pizza.