Veteran memorial to be in front of library

Joey Castonguay, Staff Reporter

Central Washington University has decided to place a veteran’s memorial near the east entrance of Brooks library, after careful consideration.

“I am really honored that the [student government] decided to put it up at this end of campus. I think it is a beautiful spot for it,” Patricia Cutright, dean of libraries said. “It is a priority. Our veterans are some people that we’ve really tried to welcome back to campus and when they want to come ahead and finish their degrees it’s a really important thing. As we all know our ROTC, Air Force and Army ROTCs are extremely important component of the student body.”

(Top) An artist rendition of what the veteran memorial will look like and (bottom) the future location of the memorial.
(Top) Courtesy of ASCWU, (Bottom) McKenzie Lakey/The Observer
(Top) An artist rendition of what the veteran memorial will look like. (Bottom) the future location of the memorial.

Cutright said she thinks it’s a great idea and really

commends this year’s student government for taking initiative on the project.

According to Hauke Harfst, ASCWU vice president of academic

affairs, the structure will have several basalt columns that follow a simple ark. The basalt will be quarried in the region.

The structure will cover roughly 37 feet and have close to 100 names on the list from the last few years, but the ASCWU is doing their best to confirm them through the Department of Defense.

The names they do have confirmed have been submitted to the Alumni Association, to check if they have taken courses at CWU. The names listed are those of veterans who are deceased.

Harfst said he thinks the alumni names could be written in gold on the wall.

Other locations were discussed, such as in front of McConnell and the science lawn, but ultimately, the

decision was made to place it in front of Brooks.

“One side will have the names of Washington state veterans that have been killed in action since 9/11,” Harfst said.