Five hikes to scale in Kittitas Valley

Hunter Ventoza/The Observer

A short but steep hike leads to the view on top of Baldy Mountain.

Hunter Ventoza, Staff Reporter

If you’re looking to get out this weekend, don’t feel the need to drive hours for a good hike.

The local area is full of trails though the diverse landscapes of Central Washington.

Here are five hikes for your next weekend adventure that are all located less than 25 miles from Central’s campus. Don’t forget to bring some sunscreen, plenty of water and good friends.

1) Umtanum Creek Falls

Umtanum Creek Falls provides a cool getaway from the spring heat.

The trail that follows Umtanum Creek is relatively flat, and runs through a shaded valley for about 1.5 miles until reaching the peak of the falls.

As summer nears, the water level decreases, allowing better access to the bottom of the falls. Travel along the western side of the falls on a narrow trail and be careful with your footing here, lest you make a quick decent to the bottom of the 40-foot canyon.

You can enjoy lunch perched on the rocks adjacent to the waterfall, or climb down a short distance to access the small pool below the falls.

This hike is short, but rewarding, which makes it perfect for an after school adventure.

To find the trailhead, drive west on Umtanum Road for just under 10 miles and turn into a gravel parking lot.

2) Rattlesnake Dance Ridge Trail

You might wonder how this trail got its name.

“Rattlesnakes I’ve seen a couple,” said Tabitha Hardy, senior global affairs major.

Don’t let this hike deceive you. It may only be slightly over two miles round trip, but the elevation gain of over 1,000 feet will be sure to get your heart pumping. Be sure of your footing on the steeper inclines of the trail, as there can be rocky places.

“There are a couple spots on your way down to watch for sliding,” Hardy said.

From start to end, this trail gives hikers views across the Yakima River Canyon.

Choose this hike for a quick weekend workout a short distance from Central.

The trailhead is located seven miles from where Canyon Road passes under the I-90 overpass. After Canyon Road makes a large, sweeping left turn, park your car in the gravel parking lot alongside the road. You will see a standalone dirt path heading up the hill.

3) Manastash Ridge

This trail shares some of the same characteristics as the previous trail.

“It’s short, but it’s steep,” said Walter Lakey, trip leader at Outdoor Pursuits and Rentals. “Definitely a 3 on a scale of 5.”

This trail provides hikers with views of Mount Stuart and Thor Mountain in the distance.

Over the course of this hike, you will encounter blooming wildflowers alongside the mostly exposed trail. Hikers who reach the top of the ridge will be rewarded with a cool breeze after their quick ascent.

This trail can be accessed by heading west on Umtanum Road for 1.7 miles and turning right onto Manastash Road. Travel along Manastash Road for 3.6 miles, then take a left turn onto Cove Road. The trailhead can be found on the right side of the road.

4) Umtanum Canyon

Umtanum Canyon is a local hotspot in the Yakima River Canyon, just minutes from Central.

Follow the gentle flowing Umtanum Creek as it carves its way through the canyon floor, a 6.5 mile round trip.

This hike is relatively flat and doesn’t provide much of a breathtaking end destination. However, steep spur trails work their way to the canyon rim and give panoramic views of the area.

This hike is perfect for a summer day. Hikers can rest their feet in the creek, and find some shade under a tree.

The trailhead is located eight miles from the start of the Yakima River Canyon out of Ellensburg, then turn right and park at the Umtanum Recreation Area. Start your hike by crossing the bridge over the Yakima River, walk under the train tracks and follow the dirt path back into the canyon.

5) Baldy Mountain

This trail can be described as unmaintained and tiring, but rewarding in every sense of the word.

Baldy is no different than other hikes in the area, and is short and steep. Your climb along this steady grade is surrounded by the Yakima River’s winding valley. Being one of the highest “mountains” in the canyon, a 360-degree view awaits at the top. Mt. Rainer and Mt. Stuart will make appearances on a sunny day. Keep your eyes peeled for wildlife; deer can be seen wandering among the grass, and sheep are found in the high rock fields.

For access to this trail, hikers can park at Big Pines Campground, about 20 miles from Central on Canyon Road. The trailhead is located directly across the road from the campground, where a gap in the fence can be found at the start.