Students take on Central’s challenge course

Hunter Ventoza, Staff Reporter

Towering above the large grass field just north of campus, is the 50-foot tall “alpine tower,” which draws eyes to Central’s seldom-used challenge course.

The size alone makes the challenge course hard to ignore.

Built in 2009, with a focus on team building, the course provides a physical challenge for students, staff and their friends to conquer.

According to Melissa Robertson, climbing and challenge course coordinator, participants work on group dynamics as well as improving leadership skills when attempting the course.

Inclusivity is a large part of the experience, with equipment and instruction all provided by Central recreation for those who choose to participate.

The course is open from April 1 to Nov. 15, and is available for everyone to schedule a session at those times, Robertson said.

In addition to students and staff, community members can also book a day on the course. Although the cheapest reservations are offered to student groups, prices for visiting groups top out at $1,500 according to the price guide.  

The course can match participants with some of their biggest fears.

“I am afraid of heights, and I have done the course twice,” said Elizabeth Vidaurri, senior international relations major. “My favorite part was the zip-lining down at the end after finishing the course.”

Those who cannot get a group of four to 60 people together for the course, or who aren’t interested in paying upwards of $500 for a three-hour session, can attend a program called “The Weekly Challenge.”

The Weekly Challenge gives individual students and non-students a chance to test their skills. The Weekly Challenge is hosted on Wednesdays at 5 p.m. and costs $5 for students and $10 for non-students.

During the weekly climb, participants have the opportunity to climb the 50-foot tower or ride the giant swing.

For those interested in group reservations, three separate packages are available. The cheapest option offers low-challenge and ground-based activities, which means the main course obstacles aren’t required.

If groups want to use the high-level courses, which are the main attractions, more expensive second and third pricing tiers are required.

Pre-registration is mandatory for each group that wants to reserve the course. The pre-registration includes a questionnaire to give each group a more personalized experience. The questionnaire includes questions like, “How long have the members of your group known each other?”

“We try to generate revenue through outside groups,” Robertson said.

According to Robertson, the course has attracted employee groups from companies such as Yahoo.

While holding conferences nearby in Yakima, or on company trips at Suncadia, the challenge course is a way for such organizations to work on their group dynamics.  

“The most important part of team building is reaching a common goal, like finishing the course,” Vidaurri said. “It really enhances interpersonal communication. If your partners don’t help pull you along the way, you will fall.”