The stars above us

Nic Cooper, Staff Reporter

Space. Stars. The sun. Planets and galaxies — there is so much to know about the universe we live in.

The CWU Astronomy Club was established back in the fall of 1997 as a student group all about sharing the stars, planets and galaxies with the public. One thing they enjoy about being together is having the opportunity to reach those outside the club who might not know much about astronomy.

Michael Brice, junior physics major and president of the Astronomy Club, said what makes the club so unique compared to other clubs on campus is the opportunity it has to share the universe with the public.

Part of the club’s outreach mission is to promote interest in the night sky and to educate its members and other students about the world of astronomy.

Brice said one of their main forms of community outreach is through the Star Parties they host.

Each star party consists of a new theme/topic as well as a new keynote speaker. All parties begin with a presentation followed by a trip to the roof of Lind Hall for an observatory session where a few telescopes have been set up.

Jason Arakawa, junior physics major, said he has recently begun to be a regular attendant of the club’s meetings and that a big part of him becoming a regular were the star parties.

“I like the idea of getting together as a group and trying to learn things ourselves and teach other people things so that the whole environment is an environment of learning.” Arakawa said.

Jeff Carter, junior physics major said what’s so great about the star parties is watching it have an impact on the community’s younger generation.

“It’s really great to see the little kids that come up to the roof and get pretty excited,” Carter said. “They actually get to look through the telescope and see things and it’s usually the kids that will ask me to see things that are on the agenda for the night – not the students, not the parents – it’s the little six, 7-year-olds.” Carter said.

Erik Bakke, a 1982 alum who is also the last pioneering member of the club still resides here in Ellensburg.

“I’ve learned a lot and helped a lot of people.” Bakke said.

Bakke has been making it to just about every club meeting since the fall of ’97 and said his interest in keeping up with the club is fueled by chasing that feeling of being a little kid again.

“Just the idea of helping people and giving them the knowledge and information they need to know and the best answer possible and giving them the accurate information and straight forward has always been an interest of mine and I enjoy doing it.” Bakke said.

Cassie Fallscheer, the club’s advisor, said one of the real strengths of the club is the service component where they are able to trade knowledge with one another and others about the universe.

“We want to share space!” Fallscheer said.

Sharing what they know with others, and staying on that quest for new knowledge is truly one of the cornerstones of the club and will most certainly continue to be as the club is nearing 20 years of being active on campus.

Interested in wanting to know more about the universe, or sharing knowledge about space? Catch up with the astronomy club every Thursday at 6 p.m. in Lind Hall 212.

The clubs next star party will be April 28, 2016 and the theme will be on Saturn and its moon Enceladus.