Back to the Rock and Roll age at Central

Brittany Decker, Staff Reporter

Popular and world renowned music genres have come out of America, like blues and jazz, but the genre that inspired all that is rock and roll.

This spring, Central’s music department is premiering a brand new course titled Music 103: History of Rock and Roll.

Offered online this spring and summer quarter, the course will be transitioned into a classroom by fall 2016. The music department is excited to finally have this course on rock and roll ready for the students.

According to the Central catalog, this course will have strong emphasis on what was politically and culturally shaping music and the artists producing that music.

“Basically, it will take a look at how this style of music developed, became popular, the major artists who influenced it and the evolution of rock into other forms of popular music,” Todd Shiver, head of the music department, said. “It will also take a look at the history and development of the instruments found in a rock band like the drum set, electric guitar, bass guitar, etc.“

The music department waited all year to get this general education course to the students.

According to Shiver, this class will be fun for “any student who listens to popular music.”

“Most—if not all—of today’s pop music…has been influenced by rock and roll,” Shiver said.

With only two music classes offered for general education, the music department desperately wanted to add to their repertoire.

History of Jazz and Introduction to Music are valued courses within the department, but the number of students at Central compared to the amount of music courses offered as general education courses left the department feeling lacking.

“History of Rock and Roll is a popular class on other college campuses, so we thought that we would give it a try on our campus,”  Shiver said.

Shiver said that if this class generates more interest in other courses in the music department then it’s all for the better

Working for two years and submitting the class a year ago, the music department has finally been able to see this course transform from an idea to a reality.

“We are always looking to broaden and strengthen our liberal arts, general education offerings,” Shiver said. “Our hope is to educate a well-rounded graduate who is capable of critical thinking. We listen to popular music every day, to understand where this music came from, how it was influenced and the great artists who developed it would only make you a better more sophisticated listener and, hopefully, create a better appreciation for music.”

According to Shiver, since huge composites of what we listen to today are heavily influenced by  rock and roll, this course may change the way students see music as a whole.

“If you enjoy listening to music and listening to music is a part of your life, then this course could have a big impact on how you listen to music and how you are influenced by music,” Shiver said.