The trucks of food in Ellensburg

Holly Chester, Staff Reporter

With the relatively small selection of restaurants in Ellensburg, it’s easy to get bored with going to the same restaurants time after time. However, with their low-key positioning and small size, food trucks may be the hidden gems of the area.

The first food truck you’ll see when coming off the east interchange and heading into town is Fidelina’s Taqueria.

Fidelina’s is a family-owned business that has been around for a little over three years. Inside is a small area with bright walls decorated with art and photographs.

While the restaurant itself isn’t a food truck, Fidelina’s still maintains their food truck status because of their immobile truck that is stationed outside of the establishment.

Lucky Gonzales is a part of the Fidelina’s family. She recommends the burrito mojado to customers, as it’s their most popular item.

Gonzales enjoys working in the community with local people and college students.

“We are so lucky to be here in Ellensburg,“ Gonzales said. “People have been so nice, recommending us and spreading the word.”

The new food truck on campus is the spot for a grab-and-go bite to eat.

Though the campus food truck offers more than just Mexican cuisine, senior safety and health management major Davis Engel, a cook on the truck, recommends the steak tacos.

“They taste amazing. Also, it’s easy to make, which is a favorite among the cooks,” Engel said.

The tacos were topped with a jalapeño sour cream that added the perfect amount of spice.

While the items at the campus food truck cost a little bit more than those at other trucks, the quality is there.

“We offer the connection card discount for students and staff which creates another option on campus,” Engel said.

Another spot to pick up some tacos is the Tacos Chalitos truck.

Tacos Chalitos has been around since 1997 and has been in the same spot since 2000.

Upon visiting, they recommended the pork sopes that are $3.50 each.

The sopes were garnished with veggies, cotija cheese and avocado. All of Tacos Chalitos items are served with a salsa verde and a spicy red salsa.

The sopes tasted great, but were a bit messy. A fork and knife are recommended.

The team at Tacos Chalitos said they believe they are a great place for food in town because their prices are reasonable and people love them.

A newer place that has found success is Earthquake Empanadas.

Prior to finding their spot on North Main Street, their business had been active in the community and participated in the farmers’ markets. They offer unique food with friendly and welcoming service.

Their community favorite in early February was the bacon and pear empanada.

The empanada has a light dough with a nice combination of the mildly sweet pear with cheese and bacon. It is perfect to enjoy on a cold day.

The empanada shop hopes to be able to serve late-night food in the future to cater to a wider range of customers.