#2 Seawolves stifle WIldcats

Senior Forward Jasmine Parker sets up for a jumper against #2 Alaska Anchorage.

Zac Hereth, Sports Editor

A match-up with the second-ranked team in the nation proved to be too much for the Wildcats in a 66-42 loss to the Seawolves of the University of Alaska Anchorage.

Central had two leads all game, the last was 5-4 early in the first quarter, before the Seawolves went on a 17-0 run that stretched into the early second quarter. Central simply wasn’t able to do anything against UAA’s full-court press defense that gave them fits all night.

“They’re just physical. They play the passing games well, they read it well, they have guards with really quick hands, they really take passing lanes away,” head coach Jeff Harada said. “We just didn’t respond. We let them dictate our movement while we were on offense.”

Central was beat in almost every statistical category; most glaring though was the turnover category. The Wildcats committed 20 turnovers which UAA turned into 22 points.

The Seawolves attack was led by senior forward Megan Mullins. She had 14 points and eight rebounds, but more importantly held Central’s leading scorer Jasmine Parker to just four points.

Parker wasn’t able to score until early in the third quarter.

Central did not give up in the second half though—despite trailing by over 30 points at times.

“We always talk about having heart and having pride and it doesn’t matter what the score is you’re always gonna play to the final buzzer,” Harada said. “If not you’re not gonna be playing for this team.”

Junior transfer Kortney Grattic provided a spark for the Wildcats with nine points and eight rebounds off the bench.

“Kortney’s really been having great practices and playing well since the winter break,” Harada said. “She’s earned some minutes in the game and she responded today and she definitely will extend some of those minutes because of how she played today.”

To go along with Grattic’s nine points, freshmen JonNae Richardson and Mandy Steward added nine and six points off the bench respectively.

“There was a time in that second half when we had four freshmen and one sophomore on the floor. And that was kind of a look at the future for us I guess,” Harada said. “But those kids really stepped up and they sparked us…it’s exciting and I’m happy for them.”

The loss dropped Central to 10-5 overall and 3-4 in conference play. The Seawolves, 19-1 overall and 6-1 in conference games, stay atop the GNAC with the win,

Central’s next game will be against the University of Alaska on Saturday at 7 p.m. in Nicholson Pavillion.