Community gave with Giving Tree

Victoria Shamrell, Assistant Scene Editor

The Giving Tree has been up in the SURC since the beginning of November to provide children in the community with presents for Christmas.

The Center for Leadership and Engagement (CLCE) was in charge of the tree and distributing the gifts that were donated.

Several schools in Kittitas County were contacted, and the CLCE asked the principal or counselor of each school to put together a list of students who are low income.

Jasmine Gonzalez, junior accounting major, is a program leader for the CLCE and one of the students involved with the Giving Tree.

“We’re basically helping them out and giving them a little gift and treat,” Gonzalez said.

Each child on the list was allowed to write what they wished for. Once the list was received, tags were created for each student on the list and then put on the tree downstairs in the SURC.

Each tag was assigned a number with the gender of a child, their age and ideas for gifts. No names were used. This year 362 tags were put on the giving tree.

“Getting the list all in, it’s really cute reading what each kid wants. It’s really funny how you can change from a little girl or little boy wanting books to a little boy or girl wanting a phone, it’s really cute,” Gonzalez said.

Rachel Roddy, senior teaching major, is the copy editor for the CLCE and helped write and cut out all the giving tree tags this year.

“I thought it was very interesting how the girls and guys varied. It was fun to see how the girls wanted like dolls, tea sets and books and the guys were wanting like Legos and superheroes,” Roddy said. “ It was awesome to see what their wishes were.”

Central students, staff and Ellensburg community members were allowed to take a tag off the tree and buy the presents wished for, Gonzalez said.

Gifts had to be wrapped and submitted with the giving tree tag attached by Dec. 1. After the gifts were collected, the CLCE organized the gifts by school.

Gonzalez and Kimberly Jellison, program manager for CLCE, among others will distribute the gifts to local schools on Dec. 8. The schools will distribute each gift to the children, Gonzalez said.

“It gives kids gifts who wouldn’t be getting gifts,” Roddy said. “It helps families who are really struggling during the holiday season, so it’s just a really good way to treat kids.”

According to Roddy, the Giving Tree program makes people smile and gives participants a chance to make a difference.

“Ever since I started working here I really liked being a part of the Giving Tree program, just getting those gifts in and then seeing the smiles on the people who bring the gifts,” Gonzalez said. “It’s just an amazing feeling to see that gesture coming in.”