WWU cancels classes today in response to campus racism, CWU President responds

Jonathan Glover, News Editor

Earlier today Western Washington University cancelled classes at its Bellingham campus in light of racial hate speech posted on the anonymous social media phone app Yik Yak. As reported by the Seattle Times, the hate speech targeted students of color and for the first time in WWU President Bruce Shephard’s time in office, school was closed.

“We do not know what was in the mind of that person, of course, that is one reason we are investigating it,” Shephard was quoted saying in the Seattle Times. “So, who was that person’s target? We can’t say until we locate that person and interrogate them.”

In response to WWU’s closure, Central Washington University President James Gaudino issued a statement to faculty and staff via email at 12:30 p.m. saying the matter had been looked into at CWU, but that no known similar cases had surfaced on campus. The same email was sent to students about two hours later.

“Our public affairs staff has tools that monitor news and social media, and we have not found similar postings aimed at Central students, faculty or staff,” the email reads.

These incidents come just weeks after University of Missouri students and Black Lives Matter supporters protested racism on campus in early November which led to then President Timothy Wolfe’s resignation. That same week students at CWU held Black Lives Matter protests of their own.

On Nov. 12, Gaudino was summoned to the Student Union and Recreation Center marketplace to speak with students about racism on campus and how administration can make CWU more inclusive. It was there that Gaudino expressed his intent to meet with various minority clubs to open a dialogue, which he has since done in the weeks following the protest.

Here is the full email:

Students,

The link below summarizes an action taken at Western Washington University to cancel classes today (Tuesday) while an investigation of alleged hate speech is conducted.   Our public affairs staff has tools that monitor news and social media, and we have not found similar postings aimed at Central students, faculty or staff.   I have asked them to alert me immediately if that changes.  I ask you to do the same.

The best way we can support the students at WWU is to honor our shared commitment to the diversity of peoples, cultures, and ideas.  Inclusiveness is essential to learning, discovery, and creative expression.  To succeed as an institution, we must ensure that all members of our community are safe and feel welcome.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/education/western-washington-university-cancels-classes-as-hate-speech-is-investigated/

Check the Observer for continued updates on Black Lives Matter protests at CWU.