Iliza Shlesinger bringing laughs to Central

The American comedian is most known for winning NBCs The Last Comic Standing.

Publicity Center

The American comedian is most known for winning NBC’s “The Last Comic Standing”.

Dakota Segura, Staff Reporter

As part of this year’s homecoming events, up-and-coming comedian Iliza Shlesinger will be performing at Central on Oct. 24 at 8 p.m. in the SURC ballroom.

According to her biography, Shlesinger was born and raised in Dallas, Texas. She was interested in comedy from an early age.

Her work is on YouTube and Netflix. Some of Shlesinger’s TV appearances include Chelsea Lately, Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and The Soup.

Shlesinger is currently performing her “Freezing Hot” tour from this October through next May.

“I booked Iliza very much with our college audience in mind, I try to do that with pretty much all of our homecoming shows,” Scott Drummond, director of Student Activities, said.

Shlesinger originally gained exposure from winning NBC’s sixth season of Last Comic Standing—a reality show competition for aspiring comedians. She was the youngest and first female contestant to win.

“[Shlesinger] fits the college demographic really well, she’s younger, she also is a very up-and-coming comedian and entertainer, and so I try to factor all that in,” Drummond said.

For the most part, Central has hosted comedians every homecoming for the past several years.

“There’s all but one year it’s been comedians,” Drummond said referring to last year when musician, Phillip Phillips, performed. “Last year, it was real hard to find comedians that were well-known enough and fitting of our school and our market and our homecoming show. It was hard to either find them as available and also within a certain price range.”

Comedians can sometimes be easier to host than musicians as far as practicality goes as they often don’t require elaborate sets or productions.

“With comedians, you can do things on a different level, without breaking the piggy bank oftentimes,” Drummond said.

According to Drummond, Central has hosted a variety of comedians for homecoming over the past years, including Jim Gaffigan, Kathy Griffin and Demetri Martin.

“I do want to try and keep it new. I’d love to try to keep it fresh every year,” Drummond said. “If we could find other new artists like Iliza then, we’re real excited to catch them in that stage of their careers ‘cause they’re rising fast and doing really well.”

Drummond found out about Schlesinger through his youngest daughter, who attended her live show.

“I’d seen a little bit about her in Last Comic Standing a few years ago,” Drummond said, “Last Comic Standing is edited pretty heavily…you go see a live show, you get a different thing.”

Drummond took his daughter’s suggestion and began to ask around campus to see what people thought about Shlesinger.

“I started kinda shopping Iliza around the school with people,” Drummond said, “We got great feedback on her.”

Shlesinger’s comedic style is largely observational and quick-paced.

As far as whether or not students familiar with Shlesinger’s work can expect the same kind of routine, Drummond predicts that while it might be similar she may very well ad lib or include some new bits.

“There’s a good chance that those who have gotten to know her from her Netflix, YouTube, or Last Comic Standing, they’re going to see familiar material but there’s still material that she’s developed or has been developing that I’m sure will be new to a lot of folks,” Drummond said.  

Regardless of what material Shlesinger incorporates into her show, no two performances are the same. Students who go to her show this Saturday will have a one of a kind experience watching a seasoned comedian perform and hopefully spread laughter

“You have the opportunity to see, live, somebody here at your school. This very fast rising star,” Drummond said.

If Shlesinger’s career does take off, Central has chosen the prime time to book her performance.

“I tease about this all the time,” Drummond said, “in a year or two, we won’t be able to afford her—and I hope so, I hope she has this monstrous career like another Amy Schumer, I hope she gets TV deals, tours and all that kind of stuff.”

Although Shlesinger might not be the most well-known of performers at the moment, it definitely appears that she has a growing presence in the field of comedy.

Female comedians are seemingly less common than males but, Shlesinger will soon make her presence known.  

“We’re just real excited, I try to check ticket sales mornings and afternoons and they’re doing very well,” Drummond said, “I’m just excited for the idea that we’ve caught ourselves a rising star and we’re bringing her to Central and I love the fact that as far as homecoming goes, she’ll only be our second female.”

Those who attend Shlesinger’s show should be aware that it might not necessarily be the same censored version seen on Last Comic Standing or late night shows.

According to the Central ticket office, 337 tickets have already been sold as of this past Friday and they are continuing to sell.

Tickets can be purchased at www.cwu.edu/tickets and range from $12 to $25.