Student government makes way on D Street name change

Brittany Allen/Observer

The Ellensburg City Council approved the new name change during the Oct. 5 meeting.

Joseph Kelley, Staff Reporter

In August, the Associated Students of Central Washington University (ASCWU) requested that the Ellensburg City Council consider changing the name of D Street to Wildcat Way. During the City Council meeting on Oct. 5, a unanimous decision passed the changing of the name.

The street, running perpendicular to University Way and 18th Avenue, has 14 residential addresses, as well as several apartment complexes.  

According to the Daily Record, during the Sept. 8 council meeting, council members mentioned they were “considering other streets for the name change or adding an honorary sign below the regular street sign.”

The goal of the name change, aside from raising school spirit, is to celebrate the ASCWU’s 100th anniversary and the university’s 125th anniversary.

“I like Wildcat Way,” Central student Jani Jesenovec said. “I would be down for that. The name sounds way cooler, I mean, what is D Street anyway?”

The name change could bring some new recognition to the street. However, the process of changing the name of the street is a somewhat complicated process.

While there are no businesses on D Street, the residential homes and apartment complexes will have to change their addresses.

According to the city’s Public Works Department, it may cost as much as $4,600 to rename the street. The price includes the cost of new signs and staff time for installation.

In the same Daily Record article, the CWU Foundation, CWU Alumni Association and athletic department’s foundation each donated $1,000 to the student board to help fund the project.

If the project does not receive enough financial support from student funds, then the board plans to seek student input on how to cover the remaining costs.

Another Central student, Jason Morales, voiced his own opinion on the name change.

“I think it would be pretty cool to have a street named Wildcat Way,” Morales said.

However, after taking into account what some of the residents on D Street would have to do to change their addresses, Morales recognized the drawbacks.

“I think it is a great idea, but kind of a waste,” Morales said

Changing a street name is quite the undertaking, but Brittany Kinsella, vice president for clubs and organizations for the ASCWU, believes that this is a cause worth fighting for.

In the same Daily Record story, Kinsella said, “Since it is going to be a permanent sign, I think it would be worth fighting for Wildcat Way. It has a better flow and spirit to it.”