Wellington’s Cafe closed for good, 1891 Bistro to open late Oct.

Jonathan Glover, News Editor

Wellington’s Café has been going through some major renovations, preparing to transition the space to 1891 Bistroa new campus coffee shop.

“The students are looking for a place to hangout that isn’t their dorm room or library,” said Patrick Stanton, director of business planning and budget accounting.

According to the recent student survey sent out last spring, Wellington’s Café was visited regularly by 19 percent of the 806 students who completed the survey.

The survey asked whether or not students would prefer a lounge, coffee shop atmosphere, if it meant removing Wellington Café’s table service. Of the students who answered, 52 percent said yes, 22 percent no and 27 percent were indifferent

The same student dining advisory council that poured over the proposed changes for the 2015-2016 school year also helped decide the name, decor and food options at 1891, Stanton said.

The name, 1891, is the year Central first became a university.

The bistro will feature D&M Coffee, which already sources beans to Cat Trax Espresso in the SURC. 1891 will also feature baked items from Vinman’s Bakery and possibly donuts from ABC Donuts.

Stanton said the idea is for the bistro to feel just like any other coffee shop: a quiet space where students can relax.

The concept for the bistro came from the survey, which asked what atmosphere students would like to see on campus. An overwhelming majority picked a café type setting, with sports and an arcade trailing far behind.

Jim Matheny, Dining Services manager, said the bistro would feature an open floor plan with booths along the window and a Starbucks-style counter for ordering drinks and pastries. In their presentation to the advisory council, Dining Services presented a number of café style eateries that 1891 will try and replicate.

“D&M Coffee is actually helping us with the design work,” Matheny said. “All the current wallpaper, everything, will be different.”

Matheny said Dining Services expects 1891 Bistro to be finished by the end of October. The hours will emulate SURC dining hours, and Matheny said he expects it to be open late on weekends.