Jazz in the Valley is coming to historic downtown Ellensburg

Kelly Kneer, Staff Reporter

Tickets for admission to all three days, all venues, and all performances are available for purchase for $40.

Jazz in the Valley will be celebrating their 18th annual festival in Historic Downtown Ellensburg this weekend, July 24 through 26.

Join the jazz

More than 3,000 people from around the Northwest are expected to attend Jazz in the Valley in Ellensburg this year, said Sydney Moe, who has been on Jazz in the Valley’s board of directors all 18 years.

Attendees will get to walk around downtown, participate in local galleries and museums, and experience a full weekend of live jazz music. Scheduled jazz performances will be held at 10 different Ellensburg locations, including the Dakota Café, Fitterer’s Furniture and Rodeo City BBQ.

“We have 22 different groups, and they differ from trios, to quartets, to full jazz bands,” said Moe.

Some of the performances, including those by Central Jazz Band 1, the Bob Bruya Trio and Ellensburg Big Band, come from our own backyard.

There are other events going on in addition to live performances, said Moe. Gallery One and the Clymber Museum will both be hosting wine tastings on Saturday afternoon. Tickets are sold separate from Jazz in the Valley; $12 includes souvenir wine glass, tastings and snack pairings.

Gallery One has also been holding a silent auction during the entire month of July for an original Jazz in the Valley art piece called “Jazz Man,” a mixed-media painting created by Cheryl Waale specifically for this year’s festival. Bidding for “Jazz Man” ends at the gallery on Sunday, July 26 at 2 p.m.

A community of jazz

Jazz in the Valley is completely non-profit.

“We are all volunteers. We have no overhead, no paychecks, no office, no nothing,” Moe said. “All of our donations benefit the event.“

The donations, however, do more than just help benefit the event.

“Jazz in the Valley offers two scholarships that are awarded to students in Central’s music department.” Moe said.

The Jazz in the Valley music scholarship was created about six years ago and has benefited several Central students since.

Jazz in the Valley is a community effort, from the volunteers, donors, and participants, Moe said. The festival is not sponsored by big corporations, but instead by local sponsors.

Jazz in the Valley has a lot of individual support, as well.

“There are about 25 amazing members on the boards of directors and about 170 volunteers in addition to the board,” Moe said. Volunteers help with event set-up, tear-down, and clean-up.

Jazzin’ “on the cheap”

For people who wish to attend Jazz in the Valley, but can’t afford to dish out the ticket price, there are some cost-friendly options available.

The Kittitas County Farmers Market will be open to everyone on 4th Avenue between Ruby and Pearl from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The farmers market offers arts and crafts, homemade gifts and fresh produce from local growers. Live music performances will be held across the street at the Rotary Pavilion.

Attendees looking for an affordable alternative may also choose to visit the Kittitas County Historical Museum. The museum offers free admission to the local history exhibits from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Kittitas County Historical Museum is located walking distance from the festival on 3rd and Pine.

Single-day and half-day tickets are also available for $15.

Tickets for Jazz in the Valley can be purchased at the downtown box office starting Friday at 2 p.m., or by visiting the Kittitas County Visitor’s Center at 609 N. Main.

Tickets may also be purchased online through Thursday, July 23rd, at www.jazzinthevalley.com.